Grey Squirrel cull for the whole of the UK and Ireland

Westley78

Hi guys,

I came across the " The Grey Area Group'" on Facebook which purpose is to "coordinate a Grey Squirrel cull for the whole of the UK and Ireland to help preserve the Red Squirrel and help it regain its territory" which i though may be of interest to some of you..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1729863907277740/ 

Enjoy 👍

2 hours ago, Eddie B said:

It says, do not show kill photo's. Strange. Anyway, not on Facebook, so can't even have a look see😂

They have a separate group for kill shots, I am guessing that to stop the SAB’s getting upset...🤷🏼‍♂️

On 08/06/2020 at 18:38, Westley78 said:

They have a separate group for kill shots, I am guessing that to stop the SAB’s getting upset...🤷🏼‍♂️

There are a few groups,  the main one doesn't allow pictures of dead squirrels because there are people on the group who don't want to see it.

The country is split into groups by your ordnance survey map. So that's a sub group for your area.

Lots of information and its interesting to see what's going on around the country.

It seems a never ending wave on our shoot. Shot stacks through  last winter and yet they still seem to be about in good numbers. Will be running a decent trap line when birds come in so they can be checked everyday. Building feeders which I shoot static seems to be best attack at the moment with cover about

On 12/06/2020 at 19:00, bumpy22 said:

It seems a never ending wave on our shoot. Shot stacks through  last winter and yet they still seem to be about in good numbers. Will be running a decent trap line when birds come in so they can be checked everyday. Building feeders which I shoot static seems to be best attack at the moment with cover about

Yes, the flip top feeders with some tasty morsels and a good hide within rim fire or air rifle range is by far the best way to thin them out BUT you have to have the time and patience.

I'm fortunate I am retired and no sort of set requirements to my time so can run as I do, ten different 'sets' which I can alternate on and spend three to four hours at a time in turn on each.

The lockdown has been a pain because it has knocked me back on my pledge to average one a day for the year.  I have 30 to catch up as well as keep to it.  Trail cams on the flip tops help me to know when there is an influx along with how fast the food goes down.   Ditchie thinks I am paranoid about them and he ain't far wrong, I hate the darn things with a vengeance.

7 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

We have gone through a fair few peanuts lol. We are having a huge effort this year to get on them there and on my own woods. 18 one morning shows the density of population 

Some number for a morning session,  seen a few of these sorts of numbers,  they must really be prolific down south.

18 is a good bag.  The very best I have managed was 19 and I could see them coming through the canopy to a flip top i had set a week before.  I have just filled those flip tops this last week and hope to be sitting on them weekend after next, so hopeing for a good bag.   I've got to average about 10 a week now to meet my New Years Resolution of one a day average.

I've just gained permission for indoor, grain store and animal pens. Every time I go in there are at least two squirrels just sat watching me. Two less now, .22 springer air gun. Sons just bought a moderated air gun and I'm on the look out for a moderated .410. The normal .410 echoes so much inside and its directly at the side of a bridleway. Blummin huge rats too. Bigger than the average thing as theres so much food available.

The greys around are extremely plump and well fed due to last autumns bumper harvest. This time last year they were extremely scrawny. They are also very plentiful due to little grey control during lockdown.

Get out as often as you can and shoot or trap them.

3 hours ago, Eddie B said:

A more realistic article showing that the Pine Marten could never eradicate the grey squirrel, and has very little effect on numbers in urban areas

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/15/hopes-dashed-that-resurgent-pine-martens-can-save-uks-red-squirrel

An interesting article, thanks for posting Eddie. I suspect no one  is at all surprised at the findings but the pine marten effect upon grey populations is astonishing as it is inexplainable, particularly in N Ireland. I have not heard why the pine marten  population is now increasing after years of decline.

1 minute ago, Sciurus said:

An interesting article, thanks for posting Eddie. I suspect no one  is at all surprised at the findings but the pine marten effect upon grey populations is astonishing as it is inexplainable, particularly in N Ireland. I have not heard why the pine marten  population is now increasing after years of decline.

They say its mainly due to the increase in forestry plantations, over the last few years, but I also think there has been a reintroduction projects by the likes of The Vincent Wildlife Trust etc. 

The pine marten does indeed seem to be making a difference, BUT for how long? Given time, the grey will more than likely adapt, and regain what it has lost, for he is almost as adaptable as the brown rat. All he needs is time, and he has all the time in the world, with these big populations in urban areas, available to repopulate, when the pressure eases off.