Name That Lure

Mr. Merkel

t’s a thingy wotsit lure designed to catch anglers 😂😂

and I think it’s worked 😊

To be precise its a Norman Weed Walker Topwater Lure. 😉

Found out a bit more about it, they were very popular in America and Canada for pike and bass  devised by Bill Norman a top fisherman.. anglers are still trying to get hold of them apparently.  OF better luck next time.  

Edited by madmax666

29 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

t’s a thingy wotsit lure designed to catch anglers 😂😂

and I think it’s worked 😊

To be precise its a Norman Weed Walker Topwater Lure. 😉

Found out a bit more about it, they were very popular in America and Canada for pike and bass  devised by Bill Norman a top fisherman.. anglers are still trying to get hold of them apparently.  OF better luck next time.  

No prize for me 

and I’ve got the biggest tackle box you can think of rammed with half a tackle shop 😂😂😂

guilty of being caught 😊👍

39 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

To be precise its a Norman Weed Walker Topwater Lure.

Spot on give that man a cigar I am supprised it was identified, it is sort after lure due to be a  useful surface weedless lure great for fishing over lily pads it is slightly weighted so it casts easier than others.

Well done again.

Tim

To be fair OF it was a bit of an obscure one even for me after 55yrs of fishing.  It brought a thought to me from my old Field and Stream mags I use to get before internet was about..it looked familiar. I have a few buzzbaits I have used on pike they do make a splash its easy to see why these things work I also use surface lures on sea bass. How did you come by it Tim.

MM

Edited by madmax666

I have always been a lure fisherman and bought my early stuff from Ken Latham in Potter Heigham, later when I moved down to London Dons Of Edmonton who also stocked an array of American Lures it was Don's who sold the weed walkers. I fished the Yare a lot its a great bait to toss from the boat to the bank and bring it over the lillies it catches a lot of smaller pike but I fish for fun and enjoyment so a pike is a pike.

Tim

Its an Odyssey sloppy pig junior, its made from a soft plastic but not the jelly type that breaks up on pike's teeth. They were popular about 15 years ago a very robust lure that I found the pike did hold on to and not reject as quickly like plastic or wood lures. Tsunami make their sandeel lures out of a similar plastic which holds together well when bass hit them.

While I have been looking through my old stuff I found one of my old invoice/receipt's from 1972 from J.B. Walker fishing tackle  down in Kent.  It was for a

4ft aluminium landing net handle,  a 28" apex landing net frame,  36" nylon net and 18 x size 2 mepps the whole lot came to with postage £7.24.  It would cost me now just over £62 just for the mepps. 😁

Edited by madmax666

They were made in the USA, I think Odyessy Lures folded a few years ago I bought mine from the Friendly Fisherman in Tunbridge Wells. Odyssey made 2 sizes the larger was a very big lure sporting an enormous single hook, I believe that it was a muskie lure the size of the hook put me off trying them for pike so I always stuck to the junior size.