Modafinale

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, The Heron said:

I was watching an interview on the BBC this morning from Leicester with a black woman about the coronavirus and the very first thing she said was there is complete difference in the NHS funding between black and Asian people and white people which must be addressed by government funding. 

Really? In what capacity? Not wages surely? Do you have a link? 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Hahaha that's brilliant.

I genuinely didn't mean it as a joke. I only have a couple of mixed race friends and I wouldn't want either of them to think I was taking the pee, I was just trying to highlight how ill  thought out some of these gestures are, including the toppling of statues. Even if it's done in respect of how Floyd died, I wouldn't consider it in the best of taste really; the bloke doing the kneeling was his killer. I just wish people would take the time to sit back and think things through.  

I sincerely am not a racist by any means, and would be loathe to think people thought that of me. In my days on the martial arts circuits back in the 1980's I made friends with many lads and lasses of all races, and mostly we had great laughs. One of the nicest blokes I met back then was a huge fellah by the name of Eugene Codrington, who I was coached by on several occasions. His feet were the biggest I'd ever seen....I know because I got a close look at one of them one day when he sat me on my backside. I would be mortified if anyone thought of me as racist. 

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

I genuinely didn't mean it as a joke. I only have a couple of mixed race friends and I wouldn't want either of them to think I was taking the pee, I was just trying to highlight how ill  thought out some of these gestures are, including the toppling of statues. Even if it's done in respect of how Floyd died, I wouldn't consider it in the best of taste really; the bloke doing the kneeling was his killer. I just wish people would take the time to sit back and think things through.  

I sincerely am not a racist by any means, and would be loathe to think people thought that of me. In my days on the martial arts circuits back in the 1980's I made friends with many lads and lasses of all races, and mostly we had great laughs. One of the nicest blokes I met back then was a huge fellah by the name of Eugene Codrington, who I was coached by on several occasions. His feet were the biggest I'd ever seen....I know because I got a close look at one of them one day when he sat me on my backside. I would be mortified if anyone thought of me as racist. 

Nonetheless it made me chuckle.

Other than reading your posts on here I don't know you. I'm certainly not about to make the assumption that you're racist on the basis of something like that.  

Cheers. Nor was my response to you meant as a snubbish retort; it is difficult to interpret the written word at times. I was merely concerned some would think I was  extracting the urine, or worse. 👍

Edited by Scully

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

Cheers. Nor was my response to you meant as a snubbish retort; it is difficult to interpret the written word at times. I was merely concerned some would think I was  extracting the urine, or worse. 👍

To me it's all about interpretation. You either get what people are saying or you don't. Some people make sense, some don't. You 'tune in' or you don't. You sir make sense 😉 others,,,, I get confused 🙄

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nor was my response to you meant as a snubbish retort; it is difficult to interpret the written word at times. I was merely concerned some would think I was  extracting the urine, or worse. 👍

Nor was it taken as such. :good:

You did point out it was irony.

I see, and laugh at far worse than that on various meme sites. I like the kind of near the knuckle humour that makes you suck your breath in just before you laugh. 

20200705_213115.jpg.227916d0d4169913b4befa3c3040b450.jpg

This was posted on Facebook a few weeks ago when everything was kicking off,  if any of it's true then he really is a hypocrite 

The thing I normally like about sport is if your good enough then its enough,  I love some of the American films where being good, no really good at sport pays for someone's education and sets them up for life.

The whole idea of different groups not being involved is ridiculous,  if a bloke was green but amazing at something would anyone care?

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

This was posted on Facebook a few weeks ago when everything was kicking off,  if any of it's true then he really is a hypocrite 

The thing I normally like about sport is if your good enough then its enough,  I love some of the American films where being good, no really good at sport pays for someone's education and sets them up for life.

The whole idea of different groups not being involved is ridiculous,  if a bloke was green but amazing at something would anyone care?

I've no idea if that's true. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it is. There's plenty of positive discrimination these days. You only have to look at all those ladies who ran for the Labour leadership. Every single one of them MPs for places that had female only candidates lists.

The F1 story I always liked was when they asked Button why he was so good in the wet? "Couldn't afford a set of wet tyres when he was karting" was the answer. If he wanted to race he had to do it on slicks.

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Hamilton was given a lot but due to him being very good rather than his colour. it called sponsorship. Yes he was beaten a few times but not often and he was consistently a winner. I can’t guarantee it but I doubt very much it was positive discrimination (this was the early to mid 90’s after all). I know a number of people around the karting scene at the time. I also don’t think he suffered as much racism as he makes out. 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

I had my lad do Karting for a while in Cadet class 10 years ago. I couldn't compete with the money required to get to the top levels. To go into a race team tent could cost you north of £600 for a weekend - something like Zip Kart would be £1k+ then there was the new chassis x2 every season plus engines and you had the people with custom motor homes etc.. - however the main reason we had to pack it in was down to the wife who wasn't happy with it. Nearly ended our marriage 

I know a guy from then though - who knew and beat Hamilton and all the others of that era in karting but never got picked up - Dad couldn't afford the teams although they are a 'racing' family he wanted to do it all themselves.He goes to Silverstone on a GA ticket and gets invited into the paddock from the drivers (one time from LH himself - about 5 years ago)

My lad now does sim racing - last year at Silverstone he was the DHL fastest lap and lost out in the final where there were a pair of paddock tickets up for grabs - to a professional eSporter who shouldn't have been in the final who couldn't overtake my lad so he done a bit of a hamilton on him (turned into him to knock him off track - a known issue with the software and why the proper virtual races have stewards). He also raced against the F2 drivers where he trounced them and had a good laugh with Anthione Hubert who he had a bit of a battle with in the race - who unfortunately died two weeks later at Spa 😞

In that time though the only discrimination I saw was the money type.

17 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I never had any respect for him. I thought he was an out and out "knob" from the get go. He's a brilliant driver. But then so was Stirling Moss. I know whom I'd sooner be stuck in a lift with. 

not a good choice then ha ha 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256334/Motor-racing-legend-Stirling-Moss-intensive-care-falling-storeys-lift-shaft.html

28 minutes ago, discobob said:

had my lad do Karting for a while in Cadet class 10 years ago. I couldn't compete with the money required to get to the top levels. To go into a race team tent could cost you north of £600 for a weekend - something like Zip Kart would be £1k+ then there was the new chassis x2 every season plus engines and you had the people with custom motor homes etc.. - however the main reason we had to pack it in was down to the wife who wasn't happy with it. Nearly ended our marriage 

That is serious money, all sports or hobbies take time and commitment,  but that's a well paid weeks work just for the £600, never mind everything else that's needed on top.

So for someone to succeed in that environment but say they were discriminated against is very strange indeed. 

I didn't go to university because of the cost, but thankfully did go to college,  my parents thought it was a waste of time at the time, but happily ate humble pie years later.

Can I say I was discriminated against because we were poor??

The difference is we were brought up with a work ethic, if you want more then go and earn it, it seems these days many have been raised being told you just have sit back and wait for hand outs, the state will provide. 

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

If I had a pound for the number of people I’ve met that said “I used to beat X when we were juniors” (boxing or motorcycle racing), I’d be a moderately wealthy man. As I can no longer  be bothered to say, X got better you didn’t.

Hamilton’s father worked hard and Lewis made the best of his talent. He may be arrogant but what champion isn’t?  But no matter, lets all sit around like embittered losers and snipe at the successful. 
I could have been a contender, you know.

6 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

If I had a pound for the number of people I’ve met that said “I used to beat X when we were juniors” (boxing or motorcycle racing), I’d be a moderately wealthy man. As I can no longer  be bothered to say, X got better you didn’t.

Hamilton’s father worked hard and Lewis made the best of his talent. He may be arrogant but what champion isn’t?  But no matter, lets all sit around like embittered losers and snipe at the successful. 

I don't doubt for a minute he didnt worked hard, all the money in the world won't make up for a lack of talent, ability or hard work, but you can't make it in motor sport without financial assistance.

So he says he's been discriminated against throughout his career??

What about the support and backing he must have had?

2 hours ago, SpringDon said:

I don't think anyone is knocking Lewis Hamiltons talent as a racing driver, what people are commenting on is his hypocrisy by acting as if his ethnicity has held him back, he clearly has never been under privileged and I see no evidence his ethnicity has ever held him back, so I agree with many others on here that he needs to pipe down, especially when he's covered head to toe in logo's, getting paid by company's that used slave labour. He should stick to what he's good at in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I don't think anyone is knocking Lewis Hamiltons talent as a racing driver, what people are commenting on is his hypocrisy by acting as if his ethnicity has held him back, he clearly has never been under privileged and I see no evidence his ethnicity has ever held him back, so I agree with many others on here that he needs to pipe down, especially when he's covered head to toe in logo's, getting paid by company's that used slave labour. He should stick to what he's good at in my opinion.

This

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

taking the knee is a token gesture to avoid writing a cheque big enough to make a difference 

:w00t: My god !
THATS quite a good sensible comment :good:

Maybe his commitment to 'slave' reparations should start with him paying some UK taxes too ?

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I don't doubt for a minute he didnt worked hard, all the money in the world won't make up for a lack of talent, ability or hard work, but you can't make it in motor sport without financial assistance.

So he says he's been discriminated against throughout his career??

What about the support and backing he must have had?

All motorsport takes support and backing. That’s why there’s so many racing families with children growing up in the paddock enabling them to use the knowledge and contacts they’ve built up.

I can (almost) guarantee he suffered prejudice on the way up but it’s difficult to see how he could be anymore successful. Sure he’s had support but he still had to pay his dues. 
As for his blm views - don’t care, don’t read twitter and if a racing driver has anything to say outside castor angles or cam lobe profiles, I’m not interested.

3 hours ago, SpringDon said:

All motorsport takes support and backing. That’s why there’s so many racing families with children growing up in the paddock enabling them to use the knowledge and contacts they’ve built up.

I can (almost) guarantee he suffered prejudice on the way up but it’s difficult to see how he could be anymore successful. Sure he’s had support but he still had to pay his dues. 
As for his blm views - don’t care, don’t read twitter and if a racing driver has anything to say outside castor angles or cam lobe profiles, I’m not interested.

What prejudice was that then?