Another new crop

kitchrat

Hi team, came across a crop I didn't know, my best guess is soy beans. 

It was on a few fields I can't shoot but for future information, the pigeons loved it. It was drilled about 5 weeks ago and is only just starting to show because of the drought. Pigeons have been on it all the time, but mainly only EARLY. 5.30 -7.00am. Someone had some shooting most of one day but it wasn't mad stuff, shots every 10-15 minutes. but there again, their hide stood out like a sore thumb.

Some birds are still on it early, despite a gas gun. There are more on weak-growth areas of a nearby OSR field, can't tell if it's new shoots, weeds or pods they are after but they SEEM to be off the ground.

DSCF2668.JPG

DSCF2670.JPG

I don't know if these are Lupins or not but I have heard through the grapevine that there are fields of them around here (Hants) where they have never been planted before. They are attracting pigeons in their hundreds too, someone I know shot 100+ over them about a week ago.

Having looked them up on the internet, white and blue agricultural Lupins are grown for their seeds as feed for animals

I'm not sold on this lupin idea, yes they are legumes but there are 2 large fields planted with them and he's put gas guns out, must really want the crop. Lupin seeds, what's the going price??

Now, THESE are lupins, in the bottom right of the picture; (ignore the bears ripping my rock walls down to look for ant nests!)

Totally different leaf. Come on JD, help me out here.... (or I'll send the bears round!)

bears.jpg

lupins.jpg

Now these are the things, soy beans, photo from google:

soy.jpg

Edited by kitchrat
more information