Landrover service

The Heron

One thing I would advise is to give it a really good clean underneath as often as possible to so you can keep an eye on things....I learned the hard way ...I ended up having to get a new gearbox and transfer box fitted never noticed the crack in casing !!

14 minutes ago, mad1 said:

One thing I would advise is to give it a really good clean underneath as often as possible to so you can keep an eye on things....I learned the hard way ...I ended up having to get a new gearbox and transfer box fitted never noticed the crack in casing !!

Did you not notice the oil all over the floor?

One spot of oil under my Land Rovers and I want to know where it’s coming from, before it cots me a lot of money.

52 minutes ago, The Heron said:

What would be the recommendation for the service interval for a 110 landrover that does mainly road work with a small amount of off road. 

What vintage Defender is it?

If it was anything up to and including the TD5 engine era, I'd be tempted to do the servicing myself - there's nothing particularly complicated about them.  I've just checked my Haynes book at recommends every 6k for service intervals and gives you the complete breakdown of what you need to do.

27 minutes ago, London Best said:

Did you not notice the oil all over the floor?

One spot of oil under my Land Rovers and I want to know where it’s coming from, before it cots me a lot of money.

Normally I would have as its always parked on my drive but I had it parked off road on grass and gravel etc....totally my fault...

41 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What vintage Defender is it?

If it was anything up to and including the TD5 engine era, I'd be tempted to do the servicing myself - there's nothing particularly complicated about them.  I've just checked my Haynes book at recommends every 6k for service intervals and gives you the complete breakdown of what you need to do.

Yes it's aTD5. 

Mine doesn't leak oil either but it does use a drop, but all the Rover V8s did.  I normally have mine serviced once a year at the same time as the MOT. It has been playing up a bit lately not it's usual self so I ordered an early service and thorough check of all electrics. It wasn't due a new set of plugs but got those done as well.   Amazing, problem solved, it appears a plug was breaking down intermitently. New plugs in and it's flying again.  10,000 or under then once a year should be fine.

I have had two Rover V8’s Neville, and they both ate plugs on a regular basis. 
Over the last 45 years I‘ve had twelve Land Rovers. I won’t say there has never been the sign of an oil leak starting, but I always fixed it PDQ before it developed.

Edited by London Best