Crank sensor or chain?

flippermaj

I have an old Nissan Almere tino and about 5000 miles ago while in 2 nd gear at low speed it cut out and the engine management light came on.  Got a code reader and it said crankshaft sensor fault. Cleared it and it all ran fine until today when at 70 mph it did the same thing.  Cleared it and all is fine again.  It has done 134000 and had regular oil changes.  No rattles from the engine.  Is it the sensor or is the cam chain likely to be end of life and stretched?  If the latter it’s done for but I rather like it😀

crankshaft not camshaft sensor  will be on crankcase looking at flywheel or near front crank pulley.

sounds like a crusty connection or broken wire as they are usually a very simple little generator affair and very reliable.

or could be corroded inside due to water ingress.very easy to test ,youtube is your friend :)

Edited by Remimax

It was at the back of the engine beneath the starter motor.  Watched a few you tube vids as u recommended.  One guy did it from the top of the motor blind so to speak.  Other did it from underneath so he could see it.    I jacked it up and rested it on a large chunk of tree and crawled in under to do it.  Not much space.   The Hardest part was actually pulling the old one out after releasing the bolt. It had been there 15 years and wasn’t keen to move with out a screw driver to lever loosen it up.  Job done though!

On 14/06/2020 at 14:01, flippermaj said:

It was at the back of the engine beneath the starter motor.  Watched a few you tube vids as u recommended.  One guy did it from the top of the motor blind so to speak.  Other did it from underneath so he could see it.    I jacked it up and rested it on a large chunk of tree and crawled in under to do it.  Not much space.   The Hardest part was actually pulling the old one out after releasing the bolt. It had been there 15 years and wasn’t keen to move with out a screw driver to lever loosen it up.  Job done though!

yep i know the feeling had a terrano one the same siezed solid in its hole had to be hammered out.

glad you got it sorted.