Cartridge Identification

Mr. Merkel

Would any of the wildfowlers on here throw some light on this 8 bore cartridge and its history, I have owned it a lot of years  and often wondered why it was much longer than the standard 8 bore case,  I have pictured it with a standard 4 1/4" case and a 4 bore for comparison.

Thanks in advance

Tim

IMG_1408.JPG

Are you sure you`ve measured the lengths correctly?

To me, it looks like a standard 4 bore at the bottom, a 3 1/4" 8 bore above it and a 4 1/4" 8 bore at the top. The top cartridge seems to have been placed on something that raises it, brings it closer to the camera, and makes it look a larger bore than you tell us it is.

Hi Mudpattern,

Thank you for your reply I have made a mistake on the measurements the standard 8 bore is 3" the one I am interested in I put plastic stand to photograph it and it has distorted the sizes, the gastight case measures 4 1/4" I am trying to find some history to the 4 1/4" 8 bore case as I can only find reference up to a 4" case.

The 4 1/4" magnum 8 bore came in two flavours. Yours - in the paper case - and the mighty 4 1/4" brass case Super Magnum.

They were a relatively late developement in 8 bore ammunition.

I`m afraid that I can`t remember the respective loads but I hope this helps with your research.

Edited by mudpatten