Allowed back as long as your quiet.

muncher

Monday afternoon I had a call of Motty asking if I could get the afternoon of on Tuesday, of course I can. He said he decided to ask again if we could shoot the maize that he was asked to stop on due to a noise complaints. The farmer agreed after Motty said we would only use huspower shotguns. The field is along side a river and is long and quite narrow so Motty set up several hundred yards down and I went down towards the end of the field. I set up with my back to a thorn bush with the wind towards me going over my right shoulder, not ideal but the only option. I put the rotary about 20 yards out to my left and set 10 plastic shells out from the rotary in a line to help funnel the birds in from the right. I was using a 410 huspower with gamebore 18 gram 7.5. The pigeons decoyed well and I had regular customers but I was struggling to get to grips with the strange sighting of the huspower. I replaced the plastic decoys with dead birds on cradles and and had to keep the area tidy as soon as birds started to drift wide. I could just about hear the odd shot from Motty up the river and he rang to say he was doing ok with his 20 and 410. At 5 o'clock we called it a day for some of the most frustrating and entertaining shooting I've done in a long time, having to be so constrained to let them decoy and let others go that you would normally fold with a 12. I finished on 105 pigeons 2 ferals and 5 crows picked, I lost a few behind me in the brambles. Motty picked 97 pigeons.

IMG-20200609-171542768.jpg
IMG-20200609-161557237.jpg
IMG-20200609-161609209.jpg
IMG-20200609-170756140.jpg

18 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Great stuff,  good to see the 410 used with such effect, also good to see restraint... question what sort of ranges do you find most effective

Anything past 30 yards and I was struggling, but I did have some nice pairs and the second was quite far out on a few occasions.

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well done, nice report.  With regard to shooting the moded  pumper, just don't look at the gun, look at the bird. Start aiming any shotgun like a rifle and your lost.

I agree, but is such a strange thing to get used to. 

It is the first time I have used moderated guns all day, and for such a prolonged period. I was getting to grips with the .410 by the end if the day, and hopefully have some decent film. I was frustrated slightly, too, having to leave many birds that I would normally go for with the 12.

I mostly used 21gm 7.5s in the 20, and 18gm 7.5 in the .410.

Good write up, Jules!

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The 7.5s will often struggle in the ported 410 .

The same gamebore in no6 should give you a touch more range though .i use the 16 grm no6 version and they kill out to 35 but thats from a non ported barrel .

To be honest it might have been me, but I did struggle on long crosses (35 yards) .

I enjoy shooting my .410 single .

It requires a different approach .

One that makes you keep still ,head down and waiting till the bird is clearly in range . (I like 15- 25 yds ) and then shoot .good thing is at this range very little lead is required (depending of bird speed of course) and kills are satisfyingly clean .

I tend to shoot really well with my husher .410 as i let the bird get in close.

Decoys are usually set at 15 - 20 yds from the hide .

17 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Are there any pigeons left in Norfolk? You seem to be putting a fair few in the bag of late. 105 with an unfamiliar gun is very good going. Thanks for posting.

Still a hell of a lot of pigeons around. I also had a few youngsters make the bag yesterday, too.

To be absolutely fair, that big lump upfront on the gun does get a bit of getting used to. I got that I just ignored it and marked the bird instead.  Standard cartridges through that modrator are not too noisy either.  Have not seen a young bird here yet but as I said, unless I have to do a job I tend to leave them alone this time of year.

Great bag with the hushpowers that.....my pb with mossberg .410 is 97 some years ago now. They’re so hard to shoot consistently when you only use them occasionally, I find myself avoiding using it for that reason but kill well when you’re on form!! 
Are you managing to get rid of the pigeons? Game dealers have all shut the doors to pigeons, interested to know how you’re finding it!? 

1 hour ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Great bag with the hushpowers that.....my pb with mossberg .410 is 97 some years ago now. They’re so hard to shoot consistently when you only use them occasionally, I find myself avoiding using it for that reason but kill well when you’re on form!! 
Are you managing to get rid of the pigeons? Game dealers have all shut the doors to pigeons, interested to know how you’re finding it!? 

Game dealers are taking them, but are storing everything. They have currently got 400 pallets in a cold store, at a cost of £1200 per week!

12 hours ago, motty said:

Game dealers are taking them, but are storing everything. They have currently got 400 pallets in a cold store, at a cost of £1200 per week!

Ahh you must be lucky where you are, game dealers in general aren’t taking them until the market for them opens up again.....at least every one I phoned within an hour or so of where I live! 
real pain as got a freezer near full and pigeons to go at now, typical.