lockdown fiddling about.

Dave-G

I made a compact dedicated recordable night vision rig for the 17HMR during the latter part of my isolation. This type of rig is sometimes referred to as a 'scopeless' rig.

Its basically a high performance low light bullet camera carried in a bored out 30mm diameter plastic tube with a 50mm board camera lens screwed into it and a doubler fitted in front the lens to make it about the same field of view as a 7 to 8 mag scope. The camera has an On Screen display facility with privacy blocking that can be manipulated into adjustable narrow lines that I can alter the position, thickness, density and colour of.

The 5" DVR is basically the same monitor I used in the rigs I used to sell but was bought with an integrated battery and TF card recorder.

I've built it onto a dovetail to weaver riser/adaptor to fit to the Sako Quad HMR but its temporarily bolted onto a pan/tilt spotter mag-mount assembly.

Anyone remember the 501b torches? I've made an Infra Red laser torch that I call a LasIR - it has three power settings and the camera iris works as a dimmer. :)

To save anyone asking - its not for sale, sorry.  

DSCF1669.JPG

DSCF1672.JPG

DSCF1666.JPG

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, moor man said:

very clever....

How much do reckon it cost you, just out of interest?

Thank you. :good:

I got the camera as a swap - the owner has yet to suggest what he wants for it but they are about £100 new. The DVR about £50, lens's about £50, 3 mounts say £30.

So would have been nearly £250 if I'd bought the camera new... which I wouldn't have done being it was partly a lock-down pastime project using other parts I already had.

The biggest issue for anyone contemplating similar is access to a lathe.