Some pictures from today.

NoBodyImportant

15 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Thar river has ‘the colo[u ]r of a mudpuddle’ as your esteemed compatriot put it when described my home estuary 🤣 He wasn’t wrong, and no atmospheric effect has ever given it a more agreeable tinge. 

With all the flooding lately you can’t see your toes in 1ft of water.  

14 hours ago, London Best said:

Love your boat name, Sir. 

😂 thanks

14 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Nice boat, where's the fish? 🙂

As for boat names, one I've seen that I like quite a lot is "King Slayer". Yellowtail kingfish being a common species in this part of the world. For Game of Thrones fans only 🙂

I have no clue,  they wasn’t where they normally are that’s for sure.   The Man O War jelly fish are every where though.  We have had a **** ton of flooding.  This area is normally a hot spot.  The fresh water green swap basin dumps into the Atlantic and the fish love it.  But the water is so murky I think it pushed the fish to deep water.  I couldn’t even get bait with the cast net.  

6 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

I'd also be interested to know which fish species you commonly encounter.

Well Flounder (fluke) is what we go after but we have to fight through the black drum to get them.  Blue fish, croaker, a king mackerel as been coming in close to shore also.   Flounder has ruined all other fish for me.  Deep fried with salt and pepper.  We are currently in a one year no floundering ban in NC so we cross the line into South Carolina to get them. 

Cool. I caught some fluke on the fly on Long Island, NY when I was over there. It's funny because we were chasing stripers and were always disappointed with fluke. Would love to catch a big fluke now! We have flounder in NZ, but they are smaller and for some mysterious reason, no one catches them on rod and line (I have a theory!). Flounder gigging is popular though. Obviously, I ran in to bluefish on Long Island. They are common in Australia where they are called tailor. They are extremely rare visitors to NZ. Haven't come across the other species you mention. 

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Cool. I caught some fluke on the fly on Long Island, NY when I was over there. It's funny because we were chasing stripers and were always disappointed with fluke. Would love to catch a big fluke now! We have flounder in NZ, but they are smaller and for some mysterious reason, no one catches them on rod and line (I have a theory!). Flounder gigging is popular though. Obviously, I ran in to bluefish on Long Island. They are common in Australia where they are called tailor. They are extremely rare visitors to NZ. Haven't come across the other species you mention. 

They are ambush predators.  You have to pull the bait over their head.  The are hands down the best eating fish in my opinion.  

On 10/06/2020 at 03:12, WalkedUp said:

Thar river has ‘the colo[u ]r of a mudpuddle’ as your esteemed compatriot put it when described my home estuary 🤣 He wasn’t wrong, and no atmospheric effect has ever given it a more agreeable tinge. 

The brown water from the flooding has made it to South Carolina.  It’s traveling south about a 1/2 mile per hour.  They say it’s harmless tannings and sediment but fish dang sure isn’t biting in it.  

4DF977E5-4FE5-48D1-8754-9A4D0A11105E.jpeg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The brown water from the flooding has made it to South Carolina.  It’s traveling south about a 1/2 mile per hour.  They say it’s harmless tannings and sediment but fish dang sure isn’t biting in it.  

4DF977E5-4FE5-48D1-8754-9A4D0A11105E.jpeg

Great photograph. Unfortunately, as Hawthorne stated, the Mersey is always a grim muddy colour. 

13 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Great photograph. Unfortunately, as Hawthorne stated, the Mersey is always a grim muddy colour. 

That was a picture from a news article.  Our water is pretty clear normally at the coast. But the green  swamp river basin stays black but with heavy rain it over flows into the Shallotte and Lockwood rivers.  The rivers carry to the beach.