Moles AAhhhhhhhhhh

ditchman

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im going to need councilling........my hands have got the shakes...............i have murderous intent......

the thing that is annoying me is that ive planted the traps 4 bloody times and i have had 4 "hits"....i think either 

1. the mole is triggering the trap whilst well inside the trap so the jaws close around it not on it
  2. it is earth pushing what triggers it 
  3. it comes in sideways

if i add a further jaw to the middle that will take care of items 1 & 2.............

tomorrow i will see if i can rivet a 3rd jaw to one of the traps

Edited by ditchman

If its any consolation @ditchmanI caught 3 in a week and then number 4 turned up. For a week I tried to catch the *******. Every morning the excitement of seeing a triggered trap abaited to seething fury as the little black goblin had yet again outsmarted the trap. Shortly after I saw a mole flattened on the lane which made me very happy until the next day and more mountains appeared!!! But that one has obviously got the message to cease and desist, for now at least. 

2 minutes ago, kenholland said:

stop moanin ditchy, think of all that free top soil you can sift with a fork, cannot buy that in the shops, don't forget 2 metre distance when you press that plunger , good luck, your gonna need it.

stop depressing me................

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

wooow.................there's sum mighty stuff there boi :good:

You’re needing the spike one in the lower picture 🤔

it has a trigger on it and you plant it on top of your mole hill 

when the critter pushes the hill up off goes to trigger releasing the spring loaded spikes and then his furs no good for your waistcoat 😂😂

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

You’re needing the spike one in the lower picture 🤔

it has a trigger on it and you plant it on top of your mole hill 

when the critter pushes the hill up off goes to trigger releasing the spring loaded spikes and then his furs no good for your waistcoat 😂😂

im just looking for enuff pelt to keep my tackle warm during winter.........

I genuinely feel sorry for moles at the mo. The ground is so dry and baked hard they must be having a really hard time of things. Found a dead one last week, I assumed he couldn;t get in the ground it;s too hard. I was digging with a mini digger last week and the soil is baked solid dust down to 2' 6" and beyond, I have never seen it so dry.

Having said that, Jasper's method has always worked best for me. Close your eyes though, or wear goggles.

well im up ...i looked out of the bedroom window....:w00t:....................more mounds...i have the traps set round the back of the yew tree..........i will call that the mole version of the M62

thank you all for sending me advice............

but what i will say at the juncture.....is sending me comments like "sell your house and move"........is not very helpful..

12 hours ago, Old farrier said:

There interesting when you skin them and Strech the pelt it’s a almost perfect square 👍😊

Done that been there. It was my job backin the the late 40s early 50s. My grandfather caught a load back then as the skins fetched good money. My job was to skin as instructed and then pin them to a board just inside the coal house door. Yes they are virtually square in shape and dry like parchment. Granddad would put a couple of dozen in an envelope and I got sixpence for my toils.  Sixpence then would almost buy the contents of the local sweet shop.

Grandfathers favorite spot was along a meadow where there ran a shallow stream and he said that moles need to drink and their runs used to go down to the stream. If that is true I do not know but he was a dab hand at catching them. The botom dropped out of the market and that was when he would make a trip to the chemist shop in the village and sign the poison register.

Edited by Walker570

well im sure you are all amused by this ...and stories of my shallow life.....1200 bloody views this thread has had............

the story continues.................must say i defo need some of those "poontang"....traps...ideal for deep runs where you need depth charges..........i have slightly modified the traps and have reset them...................its a bloody good job there is a swear filter....i have never been more incensed by a little black animal..............i think i will call this mole Clive.........

amergeddon 001tn_.JPG

amergeddon 002tn_.JPG

amergeddon 003tn_.JPG

amergeddon 004tn_.JPG

amergeddon 005tn_.JPG

amergeddon 006tn_.JPG

amergeddon 007tn_.JPG

amergeddon 008tn_.JPG

amergeddon 009tn_.JPG

amergeddon 010tn_.JPG

amergeddon 011tn_.JPG

amergeddon 012tn_.JPG

those look to be a very shallow mole run, I have always had the runs at around 4-6 inches down

what are you putting over the traps to block the light

with all that activity, the will be some in the daylight, looks perfect for the chair, glass of red and the beretta

Edited by itchy trigger
tread softly

2 minutes ago, itchy trigger said:

those look to be a very shallow mole run, I have always had the runs at around 4-6 inches down

what are you putting over the traps to block the light

with all that activity, the will be some in the daylight, looks perfect for the chair, glass of red and the beretta

im puttings wadges of turf back over the runs..................Beratta traps are the answer....think it will be the semi automatic version

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Aparently some of the runs are 12 or more inches down.

i KNOW THEY ARE I JUST BLOODY TOLD YOU THAT:mad: