Fresh cut silage Pigeon and crow shooting

So the farmer sent me a message at lunch time to say there were plenty of pigeons and crows as he was just baling up where he'd cut the headlands of a couple grass fields could I get out to shoot the crows and stop them pecking holes in the wrapped bales. Luckily didn't have much on that day so packed up work got my stuff together and headed out. set up and shooting around 2/2:30 pm after some close flybys from an RAF helicopter the crows seemed to have found elsewhere to be with only a few returning throughout the session but the pigeons came in well! Ended the afternoon with a mixed bag of 47 which was not too bad given the situation. Anyway hope you enjoy the video!

Enjoyed that my last two crow shooting trip's had to be cancelled as I had to go into work ( roll on retirement ) out of interest did you manage to pick up all the dead bird's from the grass that wasn't cut,they won't want them in the silage.👍

13 minutes ago, B725 said:

Enjoyed that my last two crow shooting trip's had to be cancelled as I had to go into work ( roll on retirement ) out of interest did you manage to pick up all the dead bird's from the grass that wasn't cut,they won't want them in the silage.👍

I got all but 2 which I just couldn't find- waited till 9pm and it'd cooled off took my old (10yrs) and blind dog up there in the hope shed find them and was amazed she was in and out of the grass with birds in rapid succession even with no sight! I guess all her good years working taught her well and she was always a cracking dog for using the scent on the wind and ground but I was impressed for sure. those two will have been cleared up by foxes badgers and kites in not time and the fields still haven't been cut so should be all ok 👍

3 hours ago, JDog said:

Very good. Your arrival on the forum is most welcome.

What do you think the pigeons were looking for? Two days previous to your outing that field would have been long grass and of no interest to them.

It was indeed long grass up till then however the birds had been dropping into it (I wasn't able to study field to see numbers only ever saw the birds as I was passing) and even this day they were within the standing grass when I got there not really many on the cut stuff. I THINK they were finding some clover in some shorter patches, as every year on this field you can guarantee a small flock will build in march april on the clover on the brow of the hill that is on the field, seemed to be what they were after and would make sense. well it could only of ever been this or the actual grass seed my money would be on the clover.

Thanks for all the positive comments! Glad you are enjoying my videos and I can only hope they are providing some entertainment!

On 18/06/2020 at 12:26, Balotelli said:

Excellent video as always, your videos are every bit as good and in my opinion better than the professionals producing videos with all of their back-up. Great shooting too.

wow thank you very much for the compliments! I'm glad you are enjoying them, I still have lots of improvements to make on them but im looking forward to making more and improving as I go!