puppy

babs2020

Everyone has different views on this. They will chew and they learn about their environment with their mouths. I will pick up a pup on Friday and never bothered with toys in forty years. I have left them with chunky pieces of hardwood, deer antler and the like but bought a large Kong for the pup today to see how that goes. This pup will spend a few weeks in the house with me and be crate trained before going into the kennels with the other labs. 

treats are fine for encouraging behaviours and teething makes no difference as they will chew come what may as my kennels have always evidenced

personally I would avoid anything soft and fairy and stick with large hard objects.

good luck

8 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

Squeaky toy's encourage to chew or mouth harder to achieve the squeak, as the pup gets older and starts training this could encourage a ''hard mouth '' as he wants everything in his mouth to squeak.

Excellent advice. My dogs have never had ANY toys or chewy things. If they picked something up I would quickly encourage them to bring it to me and then praise them for doing so.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Excellent advice. My dogs have never had ANY toys or chewy things. If they picked something up I would quickly encourage them to bring it to me and then praise them for doing so.

Exactly what I have done for over forty years with gundogs.

13 hours ago, babs2020 said:

hi guys getting pup on Saturday want for a bit of rough shooting and a bit of picking up  was just wondering   is there any  things not to give them  when the are teething   such as toys  or  treats 

Mine has toys, he usually likes to rip them apart and take the squeak out and chew it. 
My Mrs loves to buy him toys etc... 

Despite this he doesn’t have a hard mouth and has never chewed birds... I have sent him on runners and he has retrieved birds alive back to hand without a mark on them. Several field triallers have remarked that he has an excellent soft mouth. 

I never let anyone snatch or take anything off him mind, he’s constantly taking things to people and I tell them they’re not allowed to take stuff and throw it for him etc. 

What dog do you have coming mate?