figgy

Saw online auto express exposé on the above defender like replacement. Looks good in what can be seen with the disruptive black and white coverings.

BMW 3.0l engines and auto boxes with three diffs beam axles and ladder frame chassis alloy body just like the defender construction.

Nice to see it going to be on the roads and not just a pipe dream that's talked about.

Link to auto express article, there are others by motoring magazines too online.https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/defender/96387/new-2021-ineos-grenadier-roader-spied-first-time

Forgot to add the link yesterday, now edited.

Edited by figgy

I saw the link in an email from guns on pegs.

Like you said basic landy design but with coil springs and I presume power steering.

Land Rover said it was too expensive to re design the defender to modern safety standards, air bags, pedestrian stuff and so on.

So if it's going to be a Landy look a likey, I'll be interested in how they get around the "unaffordable"

I liked the idea of easily repaired or replaced, that appeals to most Landy fans.

It must have a market globally not just for shooting/fishing/farmers but for the Military. 

Can't wait to see it as it's going to be sold and the price.

14 hours ago, scouser said:

I know a lot of farmers who would jump at this if the price is right 

And there's the rub.  Can they really knock these out for less than say £25k +VAT and hope to compete with the Jap pickup market?

Plenty of people say they like simple and easily repaired.  But the cold reality is, very few of these people are actually new vehicle buyers.

I don't think a farmer, now used to air-ride seats and air conditioned tractor cabs is going to suddenly want to 'down grade' to a basic, noisy thing just because it reminds them of vehicles past.   And actually, the double-cab pickup, with a proper separate load space, works really well, better than the the Defender station wagon/van load area, 95% of the time.

I say this, by the way, as someone who is slowly rebuilding a project 110.  But I also run a modern pickup.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

6 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And there's the rub.  Can they really knock these out for less than say £25k +VAT and hope to compete with the Jap pickup market?

Plenty of people say they like simple and easily repaired.  But the cold reality is, very few of these people are actually new vehicle buyers.

I don't think a farmer, now used to air-ride seats and air conditioned tractor cabs is going to suddenly want to 'down grade' to a basic, noisy thing just because it reminds them of vehicles past.   And actually, the double-cab pickup, with a proper separate load space, works really well, better than the the Defender station wagon/van load area, 95% of the time.

I say this, by the way, as someone who is slowly rebuilding a project 110.  But I also run a modern pickup.

Yup, that sounds right. I love my Landys always have. Had to sell my 59 series 2 when it became too much for me to repair. Both Discos and my 2a went too.

My son runs a Navara double cab for shooting and I've gone back to a Volvo XC70, serviced repaired by Volvo under deal. 

Recently looking for another Landy, thought I'd have a 110 CSW, then reality kicked in. Did I really want a manual gearbox again, poor quality rear seats and a general bone shaker with at best replacement front seats to lessen the back pain.....even if it would last me my lifetime...but garage serviced. OR... should I buy a comfy, warm, air conditioned Jap mobile for about the same price but near on new. Not as capable off road, but for what I need adequate and that's it. Still lovely landies but at the moment the Japs offer the better deal.

Ineos have the idea but if its tricked out like the Japs it'll be too expensive and hard to fix if its not it'll only be welcome by off roaders and green laners who like you say aren't known for buying new.

First ones off the line will have teething problems that's a given so 2 or 3 years in before you get the Mkii. So probably too late for me.

Looks like it's a Japanese terrorist truck for me. Oh the shame.

Good luck with the rebuild, I did a nut and bolt rebuild on my 59 series onto a 2nd hand galvanised chassis. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, but if it's £60K when produced (Launch suggested £45K upwards - and they never launch for less) Disco or new Deafener will be a safer bet.

I'm on the waiting list (possibly position 90,003), at truck money or prior Deafener money (+/- £35K) i would have their arm off, at £60K? No chance ...

On 14/06/2020 at 00:43, udderlyoffroad said:

And there's the rub.  Can they really knock these out for less than say £25k +VAT

6 minutes ago, PPP said:

I like it, but if it's £60K when produced (Launch suggested £45K upwards - and they never launch for less)

Bingo.  That's the UK agriculture market lost to them then.  Am sure a few Lairds/richer farmers will stump up for one (or rather the bank will), but £45k is still £10k more than a fully-loaded Jap double cab pickup, which will do 80% of everything this will do.

And good luck with European Type approval re pedestrian safety.

Nevertheless, I hope they make a success of it.

I'd love it to be an amazing success, especially as we are overdue a (genuine) British car success story.. Who knows, maybe they will depreciate like a Jag and will be a brilliant used buy for £3.50 when 18 months old..

On 08/07/2020 at 14:31, Sussexboy said:

I won’t link too it, but there is a “story” in the daily wail that this vehicle is possibly going to be built in France rather than Wales. It seems Daimler are offloading a factory there.

Half-half. It's looking like the parts - in particular the chassis - will be built abroad, but it will then be assembled at the factory in Wales. Not perfect, but at least some jobs will be here - unlike JLR building everything in Slovakia now.

It would be a total no brainer if they did not take the factory in France as it is apparently already set up to produce a large vehicle and needs very little fettling to get it up and running. The Welsh site is having to be built from the ground up which has to be far more expensive.    The avg price is said to be £50,000 so I do see them being common place around our country lanes and farm drives any time yet.   Like the Classic Range Rover the Defender is no more and the few that remain in the hands of enthusiasts will remind us just how they where way ahead of their time and still great motors that could and can still do the business.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

speaking to the Owner of JSF............and he has informed me it will be 30k....he was most emphatic about that as well............i think JSF want a peice of the action  ..so he must have some close knowledge

?

apologies for my ignorance, but does JSF stand for?