• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/06/2020 at 10:02, Boristhedog said:

It's only possible because idiots pay the price

SPOT ON  if no one bought the pups at rip off money making prices puppy farms would not be able to make the scum that run them a nice living while the bitches suffer pumping litter one after another .

and genuine breeders who are in it to keep good bloodlines and the like correct whilst charging an acceptable price to cover their  time and experience of rearing good healthy pups .... wouldnt be tarred with the same brush 

and genuine people who are looking for a dog for all the right reasons would be able to afford them and make sure they go to a good home 

as i am but at the prices there is no way i can afford a new shooting companion

Edited by hodge911

22 hours ago, hodge911 said:

SPOT ON  if no one bought the pups at rip off money making prices puppy farms would not be able to make the scum that run them a nice living while the bitches suffer pumping litter one after another .

and genuine breeders who are in it to keep good bloodlines and the like correct whilst charging an acceptable price to cover their  time and experience of rearing good healthy pups .... wouldnt be tarred with the same brush 

and genuine people who are looking for a dog for all the right reasons would be able to afford them and make sure they go to a good home 

as i am but at the prices there is no way i can afford a new shooting companion

You say that but a know a lad who had a litter of border collie pups. 
3 were blue merls which he advertised at £500. 
A bloke turned up bought 2 and after paying said he’d get 2k each for them!

Just been on gumtree and a litter of 9 cockerpoo,s at £2750 a pop ....££24750.. nice little earner ..

But with prices like that who can blame the people for jumping on the bandwagon .

BUT if IDIOT'S didn't pay that type of money  .(.....................) ..place your answer in brackets 

Edited by hodge911

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

I posted about this a month or so back - We're looking to get a new pup but prices are flippin ridiculous. Part of me wants to wait and see what turns up at Battersea in November

Probably a good idea, with so many people back to work i would say the puppy dumping has already started. was there not already footage of someone tying a golden retriever up in a car park and driving off? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are pondering having pups next year, because we want a daughter to our current dog -- but I'm a bit worried about having the rest 'for sale' to stupid idiots with money. I've been pondering ony selling to "Working" famillies, ie pet gundogs, with a discount.

My worry is that yes, you sell your pups under the market price, and the buyer just resell it straight away afterward for twice the money. 

7 minutes ago, buze said:

We are pondering having pups next year, because we want a daughter to our current dog -- but I'm a bit worried about having the rest 'for sale' to stupid idiots with money. I've been pondering ony selling to "Working" famillies, ie pet gundogs, with a discount.

My worry is that yes, you sell your pups under the market price, and the buyer just resell it straight away afterward for twice the money. 

I had a litter last year all working or agility homes except one as a pet [ My little cousin ] it is hard sorting the wheat from the chaff but it's possible . Just do you're homework ask all the right questions and go with your gut feeling. I only had to take one back out of 16, just a pity it was all the way down in bloody Bristol. I am also still in touch with everyone that got a pup, kind of a Gentle Man's agreement.

Good luck.

Edited by ninjaferret

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

I had a litter last year all working or agility homes except one as a pet [ My little cousin ] it is hard sorting the wheat from the chaff but it's possible . Just do you're homework ask all the right questions and go with your gut feeling. I only had to take one back out of 16, just a pity it was all the way down in bloody Bristol. I am also still in touch with everyone that got a pup, kind of a Gentle Man's agreement.

Good luck.

Fair play, credit where it’s due. A breeder that stays in touch and offers their support is worth their weight in gold. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/08/2020 at 09:27, hodge911 said:

Just been on gumtree and a litter of 9 cockerpoo,s at £2750 a pop ....££24750.. nice little earner ..

But with prices like that who can blame the people for jumping on the bandwagon .

BUT if IDIOT'S didn't pay that type of money  .(.....................) ..place your answer in brackets 

Thats a bargain! My neigbour just spent £3500 on the same dog! Aparently the breeder was a bit miffed because they didnt get the numbers they were expecting in the litter. I think that tells you everything about that breeder.

18 minutes ago, Lord O War said:

Thats a bargain! My neigbour just spent £3500 on the same dog! Aparently the breeder was a bit miffed because they didnt get the numbers they were expecting in the litter. I think that tells you everything about that breeder.

It most certainly does !!

like my neighbours granddaughter they don't see the animal as a companion/family member but as a 4 legged money making machine..

Her lovely little golden cocker is on it's 3rd litter .... I go mad every time I see the poor little thing her teats are hanging down & she looks so sad (the cocker not the granddaughter ) 

Edited by hodge911

My mother-in-law grew up with labs, terriers and beagling. I would never have predicted it but she has jumped upon the Cockapoo bandwagon. She got the pup this week and it is huge, it is meant to be 7 weeks old but looks at least 12 weeks. I mentioned this to her and she wasn’t impressed, it is either going to be a huge dog or is much older than she thought. On the plus side it is a very calm temperament, on the negative side she’s gone soft and feeds it sausages sat upon her knee at lunch. I think it was inevitable that if you buy one of these fashion dogs then you have to try and train it to be as badly behaved as possible. 

3 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Every body seems to have jumped on the band wagon for xmas there's going to  a lot of mongrels going to the cat and dog home 

Is there? When someone paid £300 for a dog they didn’t mind “throwing it away”. 

People paying £3,000 for a dog aren't throwing it away.

Several have tried to re-sell, I imagine a load will get resold. 

Dogs homes have made their vetting so hard to give people dogs everyone’s just bought pups. 

They could have rehomed half the dogs homes dogs in the country but instead everyone’s had pups now. 

The price of certain pups has been very low for a long time. Springers especially. Cockerpoos have been almost double the cost of a springer for a long time, but prices are silly now. 

The problem now is, there’s so many people who are willing to pay £1,500+ for a pup anyone who says “I’m not willing to pay that” and posts a rant on FB or a forum just ends up without a pup and the breeder doesn’t care because they sell their pups anyway. 

Im not sure why some people are saying “the good breeders aren’t charging that!” ... there’s plenty of well bred dogs also selling for this silly money because that’s the current market value. 

Do we only consider someone a good breeder or good person if they charge 1/2 the market value 😳🤔

I’m trying to work it out ... 

I myself wouldn’t pay that sort of money for a pup. If someone asked for it I’d not buy the pup. 

Either get on a waiting list for someone who’s prices you are happy to pay or don’t get a pup seem to be the options. 

The market dictates the price and at the moment the price is high. 

It’s like petrol going over £1.50 a L and people saying “I’m not going to pay that!” ... fair enough ... don’t drive your car then 🤷‍♂️🤣

I reckon a lot of people who bought pups and caused  the price rise where people Furloughed who where looking to get out the house 

A, as folk just aimlessly wandering over a local golf course while the golfers are now playing proves  how somebodies no been hit by a ball god knows the course has put loads of notices out 

B , the amount of untrained  dogs pulling there owners about and wearing halti muzzles  here , infact there's a guy got a dog who thinks its okay to go into everybodies front garden as he takes it out and lets it do its business , i honestly dont know why folk haven't had a word i have 

Folk are now getting fed up as there cute little puppies are not puppies anymore and are more demanding and more folk are returning to work so wont have the time  they had , and the folk jumping on the bandwagon now breeding puppies have missed the gravy train xmas is coming up and kids want toys now not a cute puppy 

21 minutes ago, barbel said:

Been reading this with interest, still don't know how much i should be paying for a kc regd cocker with parents from good stock ?? as said going rate, or wait. tricky one when a year or so until now all changed with price.

£3250 is the going rate here at the top of Cambridgeshire!:good:

30 minutes ago, barbel said:

Been reading this with interest, still don't know how much i should be paying for a kc regd cocker with parents from good stock ?? as said going rate, or wait. tricky one when a year or so until now all changed with price.

At the moment most placed will probably cost you between £2,500-3000 😮 and I bet the majority of pups for sale won't be all that well bred. 

Unfortunatley unless you know someone personally having a litter then you choice is either pay it, or wait and hope the prices come down. 

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

I've been speaking to someone today who has been to a rescue centre for a dog as they had to have their dog put to sleep,and they said it was full as people are now getting rid of them now they are going back to work.

Amazed people have dont that tbh, after paying £2000+ for the pups, I can see a lot of them on pets4homes or similar or other places trying to sell them. I didn't expect people to take them rescue centres.

Shows what a bunch of ******* most people who have dogs are tbh. Best mates one minute, thrown out the house the next.