Miroku MK60 + steel shot

freddie_e

Hi Guys,

I have an MK60 high pheasant, has anyine tested these with stell shot? Currently it is choked 3/4, and as i believe isn't steel proofed.  Is this purely because of the tight chokes? i.e. when it comes to the lead ban, if i open out the chokes to 1/2 will it be proofed ok? 

Does anyone have any experience with this?

It isn`t steel shot proofed but you can safely use Standard Steel cartridges through it provided the gun is in good condition.

In theory you could use Standard Steel through 3/4 choke there being no choke restrictions on Standard Steel.

The gun has simply not been submitted for Steel Shot Proof and its proof status has nothing to do with the choke.

There is no lead ban, just an undertaking to move to alternative shot materials. Keep using lead through your gun and don`t worry about it.

I had one of these and had it opened to 3/4 & 3/4 and shot it for two years using eley lighting 32g or 36g 3 shot and  gamebore mammoth 36g 3 shot steel with no damage.

i sold it as once my B2G came back from having the stock refinished it just sat in the cabinet.

the lad I sold it to us still shooting steel through it with no damage.

i felt the eley shot the best through it and it killed well at distance

On 11/06/2020 at 19:18, mudpatten said:

It isn`t steel shot proofed but you can safely use Standard Steel cartridges through it provided the gun is in good condition.

In theory you could use Standard Steel through 3/4 choke there being no choke restrictions on Standard Steel.

The gun has simply not been submitted for Steel Shot Proof and its proof status has nothing to do with the choke.

There is no lead ban, just an undertaking to move to alternative shot materials. Keep using lead through your gun and don`t worry about it.

thanks, good to know, planning on using lead for as long as i can. Just wanting to know if i can use steel if needed. 

On 11/06/2020 at 19:57, archi said:

I had one of these and had it opened to 3/4 & 3/4 and shot it for two years using eley lighting 32g or 36g 3 shot and  gamebore mammoth 36g 3 shot steel with no damage.

i sold it as once my B2G came back from having the stock refinished it just sat in the cabinet.

thanks, I assumed that as other models are steel proofed that the barrels themselves are strong enough for it as I believe miroku use pretty similar tech in all models. Thanks for the info

On 11/06/2020 at 19:57, archi said:

I thought for size 4 shot or smaller you can use any gun and choke (long as the chamber fits) but size 3 and larger you need HP steel proof? 

Does the likes of BASC not recommend that barrels that aren't superior steel proof should have half choke or less even for standard steel cartridges with a shot size not exceeding size 4? Or is it that standard steel will only go up to size 4?

I suppose with the different views out there it's a case of checking what pressure your barrels are proofed to and ensuring the cartridge pressure doesn't go over that and as regard shot size it's a case of take your chances