Applying for section 5 (humane dispatch£

yeet

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

You would have to specify ‘good reason’. I doubt simply stating HD will cut it.

Humane dispatch is pretty much the only reason you can really get a section 5 pistol though, stating anything else would mean a refusal

43 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

if you have very good reason why you couldn't use a 410 or similar for it you might be lucky. 

A 410 would be too powerful for a newborn lamb or calf and would 100% over penetrate and also be very loud in an enclosed lambing shed , whereas a suppressed .22 pistol would be much quieter and over penetration would be less of an issue

I know quite a few people that have all sorts of pistols for humane dispatch all of them are used in some sort of professional or pest control setting,  and none have got then as farmers / farm workers except for 410 pistols for pest control around buildings. To get a moderated pistol is a lot of work! Trust me, the police need a very very good reason and a to let you have a moderated pistol of any sort and as a mod doesn't work on a revolver its a single shot if you can find one worth having now or semi auto ( and that's a whole new battle!) . If you are at a farm second right past the middle of nowhere  then you might get a .22 or .32 single shot or a revolver restricted to 1 or maybe 2 shot . The one thing you will get is one hell of a grilling.

If you really think you have good reason for one and its not just that you think its something you would like and it might come in handy now and again go for it but do your home work and write a letter to your feo explaining why you need it.

Being cheaper than getting a vet out isn't good reason unless you are going to be using it daily and if that is the case maybe farming isn't the job for you.

1 minute ago, kennett said:

It is do-able, our Knackerman at work has a single shot Webley .32, as isused to mounted regiments apparently. He got it without any trouble, but as pointed out it his part of his job and some owners prefer horses being shot over injected.

If you can prove a need for something you can get it, its the proving it bit that can be  can be problematic

21 hours ago, yeet said:

A 410 would be too powerful for a newborn lamb or calf and would 100% over penetrate and also be very loud in an enclosed lambing shed , whereas a suppressed .22 pistol would be much quieter and over penetration would be less of an issue

Moderated .410 is the answer.

Also what you say regards being too powerful goes against pretty much everything said about Humane dispatch. .410 is the go to for most Humane dispatch.

22 hours ago, yeet said:

Would they not argue a suppressed. 22 bolt action rifle then? 

23 hours ago, yeet said:

Of course you could carry the lamb outside the shed to shoot it if you felt so inclined, that's what I've been doing for  60 years. 

Truly, a .410 or a .22 rifle will deal with just about every eventuality. On the very rare occasion I've had to shoot a cow or a bull I've used a 12 bore, and that's when they've broken a leg, otherwise it's off to market with them to get a few quid. I wouldn't want to use my .32 on a bull thank you !

27 minutes ago, Remimax said:

thinking of putting a variation in for a 45 acp welrod for human dispatch what do ya think of me chances

If you are a vet or knacker man pretty good but I think they are called a vp9 now. The wipers in the mod are a bit pricey and need replacing every 5 or so shots! 

5 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Of course you could carry the lamb outside the shed to shoot it if you felt so inclined, that's what I've been doing for  60 years. 

Truly, a .410 or a .22 rifle will deal with just about every eventuality. On the very rare occasion I've had to shoot a cow or a bull I've used a 12 bore, and that's when they've broken a leg, otherwise it's off to market with them to get a few quid. I wouldn't want to use my .32 on a bull thank you !

60 years, well cant argue with any of that. 

I have been called to dispatch stock and have only ever took either 410 or 12g, and using a hand gun however big the hole in the barrel would not be my choice either. 

Its not us putting in the for variation and not us who decide yes or know. I wouldnt bother but then i already have the tools in my box. 

5 hours ago, bluesj said:

If you are a vet or knacker man pretty good but I think they are called a vp9 now. The wipers in the mod are a bit pricey and need replacing every 5 or so shots! 

well thats me scuppered on both counts,not clever enough to be a vet and can't see meself on the meat wagon at my time of life :)

lucky enough to have owned pistols before the restrictions ,but i do miss it.

our club had a huge practical pistol following at the time.

Edited by Remimax

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

Really? Pistols conditioned for ‘humane despatch’? 

Yes seriously and the last one was a six shot Taurus 357, I asked the man how he got it and he said he just applied. His attitude was you have to be able to familiarise yourself with the pistol. 

I have seen others too but I don't shoot on the Winians range at Bisley any more so I don't know how prevalent it is now.  I did think at the time that this could be a way back into having pistols. They downgraded expanding ammo because it became too much trouble to administer.. If everybody applied …………...

Edited by Vince Green