Scrapping a gun - what can you keep?

GBS

I have a pretty little 16g Damascus backlock ejector that I suspect needs to be scrapped. It is loose, has a cracked stock and pitted barrels and, whilst good, probably doesn’t warrant restoration. Does anyone have any experience of what could be kept?

Could the Damascus barrels be cut for knife making?

Could parts of the action be removed and surrendered and the lock plates and action lump retained?

I assume it would be ok to keep the stock.

Perhaps I am being silly and it just needs to go but the workmanship seems to me too good to bin.

GBS

01AD1644-DBC9-4AB9-BCB2-780CAE97DFCA.jpeg

Yes, far too pretty to scrap.Would make a wonderful wall hanger. I don’t like to see guns deactivated, and it would cost to do so, but it is definitely too pretty to scrap. 

Id keep it for now; the way things are going with regards lead, if they stop commercially making 16 bore ammo, you could keep it off ticket under the obsolete cartridge ruling. You never know. 

Those Blanch guns were top notch. Unless the barrels are so badly pitted they have very thin walls in places don’t assume they are gone. Actions can be tightened and stocks repaired. I would have that in to a good gunsmith for assessment before I did anything else. I would love to have that in my collection.

i was told by rfd that any parts subject to pressure testing could not be kept unless the gun is properly deactivated. That would leave you with just the locks and woodwork if correct.

Edited by Dave at kelton
Add info

As said, that looks far too good to scrap. If it were mine, I'd have it tightened and the stock repaired. James (Demonwolf) on here is your man.

It's such a shame that they no longer line Damascus barrels.

32 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

If you were nearer me I’d happily give it a forever home 🤣

Me too.

52 minutes ago, Scully said:

the way things are going with regards lead, if they stop commercially making 16 bore ammo

Wash your mouth out Scully. How very dare you even suggest that they stop commercially making 16 bore ammo. Perish the thought. I would have to sell all my guns :mad:

OB

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Contact Demonwold444 and ask his opinion!

Beat me to it but it's DemonWOLF.  (Fat finger mistake methinks)

OB

Sort of gun that 15/ 20 years  I would  have run through the shop as a project ,  sleeve and restock  and still sold it for a small mark up . But not today unfortunately . If was a lightweight it may even have ended up as a 20 bore to make it more sell able .

Thank you for all of the replies, i'm impressed that there is some enthusiasm for the gun.

The problem lies as follows, assuming (and this is the big one) the barrels are OKish, then it will still need:

Barrels - dents lifted, rib relaid, lapped, and browned.

Action - re-jointed and thoroughly serviced.

Stock repaired (cracked through the hand but quite neatly), refinished and re-chequered. It is a very nice piece of walnut.

This would be the bare minimum of work required and would cost, i imagine, using a small independent 'smith, the thick end of £2k. At the end of this you still have a gun with a broken stock and pitted barrels that is unlikely to be worth £2k to anyone else.

I'll measure the barrels later and try to get an idea of how bad the pitting is.

I don't have the appetite for this project but if anyone is serious about carrying out the work then this is infinitely preferable to scrapping it.

GBS

p.s. I am aware of James' work and, if I did the work it would probably go to him. He is about to start re-stocking a gun for a friend who would lynch me if I distracted him at the moment!

A couple more photos:

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5184.JPG

I rescued a similar Army & Navy 16 gauge back in the late 70s. The stock was broken, barrels looked fair and the action was as one would expect after all those years....made early 1900s and blackpowder.  I took it to a local gunsmith and his stocker took a look and gave me a price on a new stock and both he and the Smith thought the barrels would nitro proof.  I gave the go ahead to tightenup and proof prior to a new stock. It came through with flying colours and I have had great joy shooting it for the past 40yrs.   I appreciate that not always does someone have the readies to pay for this work but these guns are irreplaceable and are part of our British gunmaking industry.  Great shame if that gun is chopped up.

The major issue now with de-activation is that the fore-end has to be permanently fixed to the barrels. So the Blanch fastener therefore no longer has value as an example for a collector to be able to see, or show, how the thing functions.

But what ALL need to remember is that the laws of proof apply only to guns that are sold or displayed for sale. So the gun can be given away, free, to anybody with a valid SGC or to an RFD.

Also it may be very worthwhile to email both Proof Houses and ask specifically if they'd issue a "Proof Exemption Certificate" for the gun because of its Blanch fastener. That way it could be indeed sold.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

The major issue now with de-activation is that the fore-end has to be permanently fixed to the barrels. So the Blanch fastener therefore no longer has value as an example for a collector to be able to see, or show, how the thing functions.

But what ALL need to remember is that the laws of proof apply only to guns that are sold or displayed for sale. So the gun can be given away, free, to anybody with a valid SGC or to an RFD.

Also it may be very worthwhile to email both Proof Houses and ask specifically if they'd issue a "Proof Exemption Certificate" for the gun because of its Blanch fastener. That way it could be indeed sold.

And further to this, there is nothing to prevent anyone from using an out of proof or unproved gun.