Scrapping a gun - what can you keep?

GBS

built in (I think 1882).About 10 years ago I got her totally overhauled -rib relaid,barrels rebrowned,pits taken out,new ejector spring in one barrel and a new safety spring and re proofed as she was not in proof at the time. The man who did this for me charged a lot less than the 2k quoted above.The gun was used weekly by me and had been through the wars but it came back in a lovely condition. This man has sadly passed away since but it I imagine that it should still be possible to find someone who could carry out this work for less than a small fortune.   I got this gun from my Father as a gift from a very old friend of his and have had it over 30 years now and would hate to be without it.      I still use this gun all the time bar when I have to shoot non toxic or am shooting a lot of shots at pigeons/crows then the Remington auto comes out. As many of the other posters have said it would be a real shame to scrap as they just aren't being made any more.

The first line of my post was deleted for some reason.It was meant to read

"I shoot a Charles Lancaster built..."

20 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Can you get a better picture of the barrels please - cannot judge the damascus.

What would you like to judge? I’ll try and take a photo to show what you’re after. GBS 

19 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Apologies - just wondering how fine the Damascus is - picture from above, close to the breach should be good - my previous post sounded a little demanding - wasn't intended that way. 

I hope this helps. GBS 

B75A0341-2856-444D-AC99-E141245CD988.jpeg

9679B47E-3B94-4C89-9C15-52DFB9E7B8E9.jpeg

I’ve now measured the barrels. The good news is that it is in proof. However, that’s where the good news ends. Wall thicknesses are mid-low teen thousandths of an inch. So, it will need sleeving.

If anyone is interested in taking this on as a project, and is under no illusion as to the cost, please let me know. It does need to go to someone with the motivation, and means, to carry out the work as the longer it lies around the more risk there is that someone mistakenly shoots it. 

GBS

I think the condition of the barrels has sealed her fate - I think Teague used to do liners but not sure they still do, if I were still in the Precision Engineering business I would make a liner myself then have her reproofed but it's a long shot. Only other suggestion would be to find a serviceable set of Damascus Barrels and see if they could be made to fit - the ribs could be swapped over?

On 15 June 2020 at 23:22, bruno22rf said:

I think the condition of the barrels has sealed her fate - I think Teague used to do liners but not sure they still do, if I were still in the Precision Engineering business I would make a liner myself then have her reproofed but it's a long shot. Only other suggestion would be to find a serviceable set of Damascus Barrels and see if they could be made to fit - the ribs could be swapped over?

I think that Teague stopped lining barrels due to incompatibility between the liner and the original steel/Damascus. Shame really, but surprised that no-one has come up with a similar alternative apart from sleeving. This would give the gun added life, retain the Damascus and also possibly proofed for steel.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I think that Teague stopped lining barrels due to incompatibility between the liner and the original steel/Damascus. Shame really, but surprised that no-one has come up with a similar alternative apart from sleeving. This would give the gun added life, retain the Damascus and also possibly proofed for steel.

OB

I am sure with modern engineering this is possible. But at what expense. Especially with the current market in older guns. Also lots of near perfect oldies around. I cant see anyone setting up for this.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...