357mag carbine

Benthejockey

I'm after a cowboy gun for HAD. 357mag, 16inch barrel. A big loop would be nice but not the end of the world. As would a picatinny rail for a little red dot but again its not the end of the world if its not there. Doesn't have to be the prettiest but has to very accurate and very reliable. Closer to Shrewsbury/Shropshire the better. Not a huge budget otherwise I'd buy new. 

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

whats the largest animal you are allowed to shoot with a .357 pistol shell

They’re usually used for gallery target. 

Imagine they would be very effective on close range Fox And other small german with the right bullet. 

Would they meet the energy requirements for deer? 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

They’re usually used for gallery target. 

Imagine they would be very effective on close range Fox And other small german with the right bullet. 

Would they meet the energy requirements for deer? 

Think he's cosidering it as a MOLE KILLER!

17 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Definitely not using it for small Germans 😂 you could stoke it up for small deers and large Germans but that's not what I want it for @Lloyd90

@ditchman at close range it's very effective on anything cow sized and down. And the accuracy is needed especially for moles 😉

would it be legal on munty ?

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

would it be legal on munty ?

I don’t think so it appears they need a minimum of 1,000 ft/lb to be legal and the 357 carbine is putting out about 800. 

1,700 needed for other deer. 

a 357 carbine I imagine would be very capable of dropped some deer and be very handle to have a short quick open sights rifle in woodland and scrub... but it appears it’s not to be. 

28 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

You can get them small deer legal, definitely with an 18 inch barrel and the Americans do shoot white tail deer with them. But this is for close range fox round the lambing and chicken sheds and going to be loaded with 38sp for snared and caged furries. 

Just had a look on SD. Some lads home loading and getting over 1,000 saying great for woodland Muntjac. 

He said he has used them for dispatch one Munties, roe and fallow, said it’s way too powerful and goes straight through them all... leaves a fist sized exit hole if it hits a rib! 

Americans use them on white tail in cover to very good effect they even use handguns to hunt. 

I have  a Marlin .357mag carbine conditioned for aolq, so that's fox, humane dispatch of deer, rabbits and squirrels. Put picatinny rail and low powered scope on it.

If you reload, it really is a versatile, cheap round. You can use lower powered .38sp or full house .357mag loads. I cast my own lead for it and it works out less than 10p/round! 

The carbine really is a handy size for close woodland, shame they're not deer legal😒

Had a great afternoon on squirrels round the feeders, shot a couple of rabbits too, great fun!.....

• 2 months later...