How to correctly apply CCL stock oil, help please.

Taileron

Hello All,

With the huge amount of knowledge here on PW could someone please advise on how to correctly apply CCL stock Oil. The Gun is a Fabarm RS12 and I want to treat it as its used in all weathers. I was advised to put a tiny amount on a finger tip and vigorously rub it in, the heat of rubbing would help bond the oil. Leave for 24 hours then buff off, which i have attempted but the results are poor. Im left with a somewhat sticky opaque look which has taken the last 2 hours to buff and it appears that nothing has bonded/soaked into the stock. I used the smallest amount of the oil, not even 1 drip for the whole stock.

If anyone has any advice/pointers as to where Im going wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Do you know what the finish of the Fabarm was? If it wasn't oil finished (and based on the amount you tried to rub in to now avail I would suggest it isn't) then you are on a hiding to nothing unless you strip the finish down to bare wood.  

OIL

What PPP says. BUT it it was an oiled stock which I doubt the best way to apply ccl in my opinion is to use plenty of the oil rub well in leave for a very short time "mins" then wipe it all off with a soft cloth.  then leave for 24 hrs and repeat. You will seem to be getting nowhere but after a few coats you will see the improvement.

5 minutes ago, PPP said:

Do you know what the finish of the Fabarm was? If it wasn't oil finished (and based on the amount you tried to rub in to now avail I would suggest it isn't) then you are on a hiding to nothing unless you strip the finish down to bare wood.  

Not sure, i have tried a good googling but to no avail. Fabarm USA says Tri Wood, but its not that as i have a Tri Wood allsport and it is completely different. 

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

What PPP says. BUT it it was an oiled stock which I doubt the best way to apply ccl in my opinion is to use plenty of the oil rub well in leave for a very short time "mins" then wipe it all off with a soft cloth.  then leave for 24 hrs and repeat. You will seem to be getting nowhere but after a few coats you will see the improvement.

Nice one, cheers. So more oil, less time on and remove/repeat👍

2 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Not sure, i have tried a good googling but to no avail. Fabarm USA says Tri Wood, but its not that as i have a Tri Wood allsport and it is completely different. 

Nice one, cheers. So more oil, less time on and remove/repeat👍

But not if the stock is originally varnished.

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks. In that case then it may have a very thin Matt varnish on it? It would explain the oil not being absorbed. 

Cheers Scully, that would explain it. My Maxus wood was the same but a little more obvious. Looks like I'm P#####g in the wind With trying to treat it with CCL. Thanks for the info👍

5 hours ago, Taileron said:

Cheers Scully, that would explain it. My Maxus wood was the same but a little more obvious. Looks like I'm P#####g in the wind With trying to treat it with CCL. Thanks for the info👍

Are you applying  this in the house or out in a shed , will need some warmth  to help it go off .

1 hour ago, Taileron said:

I have given up on it now, hopefully rain won’t effect the woodwork.

If it’s been lacquered as Welshwarrior says, you could gently remove what oil you’ve applied with thinners, and then when that’s evaporated apply a another thin coat of shellac. Do some research beforehand however, as lacquer can ‘bloom’ when it gets wet.  

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Now it has CCL stock oil on top of the lacquer it should be hard to put it down!:whistling:

You should be on the stage😂

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

If it’s been lacquered as Welshwarrior says, you could gently remove what oil you’ve applied with thinners, and then when that’s evaporated apply a another thin coat of shellac. Do some research beforehand however, as lacquer can ‘bloom’ when it gets wet.  

It’s had a good buffing and has come up quite well and seems to have hardened nicely TBH. I’m going to have a “chat” with the RFD who sold me the CCL, as I specifically asked him if it was the correct oil to put onto the fabarm......as he sold me the fabarm! 

If it turns into a right mess then I will take it just down the road to Cannock, weismans will sort it.

2 hours ago, Taileron said:

You should be on the stage😂

It’s had a good buffing and has come up quite well and seems to have hardened nicely TBH. I’m going to have a “chat” with the RFD who sold me the CCL, as I specifically asked him if it was the correct oil to put onto the fabarm......as he sold me the fabarm! 

If it turns into a right mess then I will take it just down the road to Cannock, weismans will sort it.

Yes the stage with the trapdoor😎

Did you not get instructions with the CCL oil  ?

Start with some meths on a clean cloth or even kitchen towel. That will remove the CCL without any damage to any varnished finish that may or not be already on the gun. IF you are going to use any oil based stock treatment, then the dab on a finger and spread with the palm is the way to go. Leave the stock for around an hour, then buff hard with a clean lint free cloth, then leave for at least 24 hours. Then repeat process.

The maxim is every day for a week, then every week for a month, then every month for a year, then once a year after that. IF the stock has a lacquered finish, then that has to go for any oil to work. Some manufacturers choose to use Tru-Oil, which has a lacquer in it and it dries to a high gloss, beloved by American shooters. I have use 0000 grade steel wool to cut through this and apply some decent oil. I am looking to buy a CG 20 bore and that has  TRU-Oil finish. It won't have for long though  !       Sorry, I make a better job of stocks than photography     😄

20181123_151504.jpg

Edited by Westley

12 hours ago, Westley said:

Did you not get instructions with the CCL oil  ?

Start with some meths on a clean cloth or even kitchen towel. That will remove the CCL without any damage to any varnished finish that may or not be already on the gun. IF you are going to use any oil based stock treatment, then the dab on a finger and spread with the palm is the way to go. Leave the stock for around an hour, then buff hard with a clean lint free cloth, then leave for at least 24 hours. Then repeat process.

The maxim is every day for a week, then every week for a month, then every month for a year, then once a year after that. IF the stock has a lacquered finish, then that has to go for any oil to work. Some manufacturers choose to use Tru-Oil, which has a lacquer in it and it dries to a high gloss, beloved by American shooters. I have use 0000 grade steel wool to cut through this and apply some decent oil. I am looking to buy a CG 20 bore and that has  TRU-Oil finish. It won't have for long though  !       Sorry, I make a better job of stocks than photography     😄

20181123_151504.jpg

That looks lovely.

The CCL didn't  come with any instructions, just a quick brief from the RFD, thanks for the heads up.