This is Really getting Silly NOW!

TIGHTCHOKE

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Well said. If you watch the video the Coppers also made a few dubious comments. On the whole I respect the Police and the job they do, have several friends who are either serving or retired, but I guess even good 'uns - which is the vast majority - can have a bad day.

I respect the police albeit with a bit of caution.  My brother in law was CID and before that uniformed all his working life, a few stories there I can tell you.   Perhaps the problem is I’ve experienced too many incidents in my own life to just roll over.   And anyone that wants to say “if you’ve got nothing to hide.....” simply hasn’t had those experiences and that’s fine but don’t be naive.

1 hour ago, Sian said:

Sorry I’m white, middle aged female I’d want to know why they want my details.  They’d certainly need to give me a bit more than I look suspicious!  

Wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.

5 minutes ago, Sian said:

I respect the police albeit with a bit of caution.  My brother in law was CID and before that uniformed all his working life, a few stories there I can tell you.   Perhaps the problem is I’ve experienced too many incidents in my own life to just roll over.   And anyone that wants to say “if you’ve got nothing to hide.....” simply hasn’t had those experiences and that’s fine but don’t be naive.

And that one.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

They’re on about pulling down the sir Robert peel monument. We are proud of our heritage in Tamworth and they’ll be a hell of a fight to defend it. 

57 minutes ago, AVB said:

Wasn't it Robert Peel's father who was a slave trader not him? My dad was a typical casual racist, as many were of his generation, so I suppose I am next to be targeted.  

This was on the North west news earlier in the week because there is another monument in Preston, and yes his father Robert Peel snr was involved with the slave trade, people have got the wrong name.

I asked @grrclark earlier if anyone was kicking off in Scotland over the slave trade, seems someone is, it was probably the English tho 😉

45 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The law says a police officer can ask you for your driving details at any time without explanation, or he can issue a form(used to be an HORT1) which requests you present those details at a police station of your choice.

I see no big issue with doing so, they can check me out any time they wish.  Perhaps we should go along with the present American idea of doing away with police entirely and as and when you are attacked or robbed etc etc., the local council send along a social worker to advise you.

We saw the video clip earlier,  why not say yes I have ID then ask if they are being targeted because of their colour?

21 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.

And that one.

+1 and +1. Except I'm not female nor middle aged but you get the sentiment. 

And I wonder how many of those that say they have no problem with it are same who post threads about not seeing why they should have to dial "101" when going shooting?

Just now, Sian said:

Again, I agree. The thing is if you get a tug in the UK and know you are squeaky clean then you should not, all things being equal, have too much to fear. 

It can be very different in other parts of the world. I had an incident in Ohio once when I did a U-turn in a place I apparently shouldn't have, the cops that pulled me were actually quite intimidating until I opened my mouth and they realised I was a foreigner.

In Nairobi however I have twice been pulled whilst a passenger in a taxi, the first time the cop didn't even look in the rear to see me but instead confiscated the keys and marched the driver to an ATM for "cash compensation" - just the way it is.

The second time we were stopped within 100 yards of leaving the compound I was staying in, they demanded ~£100 as compensation for me not carrying my passport, I was reluctant to show them my UK driving licence as it involved opening my wallet. I tried to walk back to the compound to fetch the passport but the AK-47 in the small of my back after a couple paces convinced me otherwise.

Then they threatened to take me to the Police Station, at which point I said "sure let's go explain this to your boss", they subsequently lectured me on how tough it was being a cop, how the pay was so bad and any contribution to their fund would be appreciated. I got the taxi driver to hand me the equivalent of about £11 and handed it over whilst telling them in Cockney "to go forth and multiply". 

I have had very few experiences with UK Police, the one we still laugh about now was a lone Cop who stopped me for "jumping a light" - after about 15 minutes of circular arguments I basically told him if he wasn't going to caution me, or even demand a producer, then I was getting back in my car and going about my day, which I did, without challenge.

I do actually subscribe to the notion that if you've nothing to hide then you should normally have nothing to fear on the basis of:

• They don't really care about trivial things (like breaking the lockdown in the recent climate)
  • If you're doing real bad stuff, GCHQ probably already know and any Copper stopping you, who is able to identify you will too
  • Any Copper worth his salt knows how to read a situation and a "suspect" based on their behaviour

That said, there are horror stories and carriages of injustice but I still maintain we should take comfort in the fact we have a Police Service rather than a Police Force.

Just to qualify this, my views are based purely on personal perception and experience plus a bit of what my Police pals have told me - and I do agree there are some right wrong 'uns.

2 hours ago, Sian said:

Sorry I’m white, middle aged female I’d want to know why they want my details.  They’d certainly need to give me a bit more than I look suspicious!  

^^^^^^ This. I just watched the video. Where is the training for these people. 

4 hours ago, Sian said:

I see where your coming from, but if your on the road in a motor vehicle they can request your driving docs without any reason at all.

12 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Then they threatened to take me to the Police Station, at which point I said "sure let's go explain this to your boss",

Sometimes you have to be careful about escalating these things though. I had a connection one time who (amongst his other somewhat opaque business ventures) mined diamonds in the hinterlands of Zaire. And he used to tell a (probably apocryphal) story about a newly arrived visitor to Kinshasa.

Before he can get out of the airport this visitor - who's never been to Zaire before -is shocked to find that he has to pay $100 to get his passport back from the airport immigration officer, and then another $100 to get his bag through customs. But at last, relieved that he's got the hassle behind him, outside the airport he gets in a taxi and gives the name of the hotel. He's surprised to discover it's so close - just down the road 100 yards followed by a U turn and a few 100 yards the other way away. A 5 to 10 minute trip away at most. At the hotel, he gets out of the taxi, and the driver, after retrieving his bag from the boot, informs him that the fare for the journey will be $50. At this point, the man, who's had about enough of it by now, starts to get angry and an argument ensues. A small crowd gathers to listen and they take the side of the driver. Spotting a policeman across the street, the man beckons him across '.......and that's the absolute worst thing he could have done in Zaire'.. said my friend Bobby, '...because now his troubles really begin.The first thing the policeman does is ask him for his passport.....'

Edited by Retsdon

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

hope the dont ban the Kumas..............christ.that was bloody funny.............its probely the only sit-com i have ever sat and laughed out loud at

Fantastic  program , very well written , it will become a very sad world when we can not laugh at ourselves .

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, they are all on the bandwagon. Report on Sky about a black couple being stopped on a housing estate by two police officers who politely asked for their details, just doing their job. BUT NO, this couple cannot just respond by providing details  and have to up the anti by complaining and notifying everyone on social media from where Sky picked it up and ran with it.

The bad part is the numpties in charge of running the police force actually apologised to them.   If I was stopped and I have been a few times, I respond to what the officer is asking, provide details etc etc., and at the end of the conversation I always say thank you for being out there doing your job.  It's going to get worse before it settles down.

I watched that (on the internet) and the police were (as you say), polite and doing their job.  No cause for complaint at all.  I would have had no problem whatsoever if the police had asked me that.

The couple stopped were confrontational and obnoxious.  Almost deserve to be prosecuted for being obstructive.

16 hours ago, ditchman said:

i hate the fact that some people are trying to make me feel ashamed of my history...........

Ironically it was Churchill who said (although I'm not sure he originated it, he publicised it) "A nation that forgets its past has no future"