Barley.early and tall

Shotguneddy

It looks very much like the Triticale that they grow around here for biofuel. The field near me is a good 4 foot tall and looks very much like barley. If it is Triticale, which is a cross between rye and wheat and if it`s grown for biofuel, it will probably be cut this month. The stubble can provide some early harvest shooting as the pigeons quite like it if there`s plenty of ears left on the ground.

OB

Yes, that was my thought as well as my neighbour grows hundreds of acres of it for a huge bio fuel unit down in the valley.  It does not drop it's head like barley ....  there again doesn't have chance because it gets cut and chopped and harvested green.   Modern barley's tend to be no more than 2ft high plus the head which as it ripens will hang down flush with the stalk when really ripe.

1 hour ago, martinj said:

A local farmer grows Rye every year because the ground is so poor and it's all that will grow, it goes to Ryvita. Rye looks like 5 foot barley.

Yep , could be that. I had not thought of rye as it is quite rare around here, in fact never seen it grown anywhere.

Do us a favour and ask , will you. That will solve the issue.

I never see him these days, My son and I had some great shooting on the Rye as it's tall enough to get blown down in thunderstorms and whatnot so we got good areas of lain crops. Bags between the two of us went 120 + a few times with numerous 30-40 pluses.

As in a lot of shoots things got a bit sticky with a neighbour who had a riding stables, he was quite cooperative to start with allowing us to close paths to riders etc, we also shot his rabbits with .22 rifles but in the end he wanted to restrict shooting to evenings, 4pm and later so eventually it died a death.