Quail or other domestic birds for dog training ( esp hpr)

scotslad

Alright

Been away from here for a while.

Just picked myself up another gwp today, wasn't really expecting to but a nicely bred bitch came up straight money.

Just at a nice stage and beginning to point would be handy having some birds at home to train with as I need

I heard years ago about folk using Bobtail quail for pointing and flushing and as long as u keep a pair of call birds in the coop the birds come back every night.

I was meaning to fence them in a massive rabbit pen ( to keep things legal, realise illegal to realise quail)

Does it matter wot breed of quail u get?

Anyone else used similar?

Know a few gundog trainers are back to keeping homing pigeons for the same

I think it's only illegal if u release them as non native, hence why I was going to fence them in a big rabbit pen.

Same as certain types of more ornamental pheasant or guinea fowl.

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Haven’t got a clue but best of luck with your new dog 

welcome back I’ve missed your posts 

Cheers OF, surprised u noticed I was gone.

Not that I've got much to decent to say anyway.

• Bet the average for spelling and grammar will have risen in my absence 😀

9 hours ago, scotslad said:

Alright

Been away from here for a while.

Just picked myself up another gwp today, wasn't really expecting to but a nicely bred bitch came up straight money.

Just at a nice stage and beginning to point would be handy having some birds at home to train with as I need

I heard years ago about folk using Bobtail quail for pointing and flushing and as long as u keep a pair of call birds in the coop the birds come back every night.

I was meaning to fence them in a massive rabbit pen ( to keep things legal, realise illegal to realise quail)

Does it matter wot breed of quail u get?

Anyone else used similar?

Know a few gundog trainers are back to keeping homing pigeons for the same

Who cares.....who would actually know what your doing and why would they be on your land to see what your doing,crack on ....!!

And yes know men who use pigeons for this very purpose...

3 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

I really wouldn't bother with quail, but if you must then you can pick up bog standard coturnix coturnix eggs and incubate them very easily.

Was up my mates tonight where I have a few quial, there are about 5 left.

I put one out in the grass (obvs not with the dog about) and we just walked up on it. It took ages to flush really hard to get it up and when it did it only went up about 12" and just flapped about before landing about 3-4 feet away... not a solid flush you'd want for training a dog as if the dog moves or runs in its really easy to catch. 

If you want some eggs off them I can post you some as they are laying a lot atm, I would try to get pigeons or partridge myself though. 

Cheers for replies.

Don't think worth the hassle really.

I'll mibbee look into it a bit more in the future if different breeds flush better.

Got quite a few pheasants round about my garden/land but never like hunting my dogs throu cover at this time of year.

I'll figure something out.

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I put one out in the grass (obvs not with the dog about) and we just walked up on it. It took ages to flush really hard to get it up and when it did it only went up about 12" and just flapped about before landing about 3-4 feet away... not a solid flush you'd want for training a dog as if the dog moves or runs in its really easy to catch. 

If you want some eggs off them I can post you some as they are laying a lot atm, I would try to get pigeons or partridge myself though. 

They don't fly far as they are normally kept in small cages and don't have much fitness, they can however fly quite a way!

You need good land with decent game numbers to make a good HPR, just introduce them to game sensibly at the right age and if their breeding is decent then they will be fine.

My GSP is 3 now so no use for them thanks.

39 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Got quite a few pheasants round about my garden/land but never like hunting my dogs throu cover at this time of year.

I'll figure something out.

what age is she?

Cheers loydd but unfortunately not really set up yet for incubating or bringing on eggs, hopefully by sorted by next year.

Dog only 7 month, I've only just picked her up.

Stil needs a lot of work in basics before I would let her free hunt, that's why I thought if I could control the situation a bit more.

Would be easy to set up and still have plenty control.

She would be on a long line anyway just for belt and braces

• 3 weeks later...

I keep corurnix for meat and eggs, they might get fit enough for a decent flush when barn kept, mine don’t lift easilly as they are used to the dog helping me collect the eggs but when they do they will fly till they hit the ceiling. 

The dog is too young for using them as a flush yet but I will give it a crack once she is older. 

As above if you want some eggs I am happy to post you some, though they never seem to do well after being posted.

It is important to remember Coturnix wont come back, bobwhite might. My neighbour uses feral pigeons one of his mates traps for a living.

If anyone knows where I could get a bird release trap that isn’t an outrageously expensive electronic one I would be interested. Everywhere seems to be out of stock of the rope pull release ones.