Nice old video

wisdom

Thanks for posting,  I have seen it before but what a fantastic life,  In Scullys shed thread i asked if anyone had any info on the eel traps, [perhaps an east Anglian might have an old book with some diagrams]  still lovely to see them working with nature around the year.. cheers 

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Anglia tv did some very good programmes back then; I recall often sitting down with my Dad to watch them. Seemed a much more sedate way of life then. 

Some of the early Survival programs by Colin Willock on Anglia were of the old timers and the country way of life , also Farming Diary and Bygones by Di(c)k Joice were worth watching , oh, and not forgetting Out Of Town by Jack Hargreaves .

On 14/06/2020 at 12:37, islandgun said:

Thanks for posting,  I have seen it before but what a fantastic life,  In Scullys shed thread i asked if anyone had any info on the eel traps, [perhaps an east Anglian might have an old book with some diagrams]  still lovely to see them working with nature around the year.. cheers 

Hi islandgun.... Have a look on Youtube for    England Their England ... The Last Puntgunner ..... about 3/4 into the film there is some footage with Ernie James making some Ell pots from Willow , the same chap from the above video .  MM

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Hi islandgun.... Have a look on Youtube for    England Their England ... The Last Puntgunner ..... about 3/4 into the film there is some footage with Ernie James making some Ell pots from Willow , the same chap from the above video .  MM

Cheers MM couldn't find that title, but I was thinking I could get in touch with Wisbech or Cambridge library and see if they have any info...hows things in sunny Norfolk, have you got out decoying ? 

36 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Cheers MM couldn't find that title, but I was thinking I could get in touch with Wisbech or Cambridge library and see if they have any info...hows things in sunny Norfolk, have you got out decoying ? 

Hi i/g ..... I clicked on to Youtube Videos then in the search slot put in The punt gunners film , three different ones will come up and the first one is the one you want , it last for just over 26 mins and is called England Their England: The Last Puntgunner on Vimeo . maybe some kind member will give you a link .

Up until the last few days the weather have been very dry and warm/hot , the hay making will be very poor this year, and it was the first time I have known them to give the horses that are grazing some extra bales of hay as the horses are eating the grass quicker than it can grow , although these last few days we have had a bit of rain . and yes we have started to decoy a few pigeons on the Peas which are well in pod and will be about three weeks before they are vined , we have also been fairly lucky with the virus on the eastern area with low numbers , and today they said there were no deaths from the hospitals in the eastern region , long may it continue to improve .

38 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi i/g ..... I clicked on to Youtube Videos then in the search slot put in The punt gunners film , three different ones will come up and the first one is the one you want , it last for just over 26 mins and is called England Their England: The Last Puntgunner on Vimeo . maybe some kind member will give you a link .

Up until the last few days the weather have been very dry and warm/hot , the hay making will be very poor this year, and it was the first time I have known them to give the horses that are grazing some extra bales of hay as the horses are eating the grass quicker than it can grow , although these last few days we have had a bit of rain . and yes we have started to decoy a few pigeons on the Peas which are well in pod and will be about three weeks before they are vined , we have also been fairly lucky with the virus on the eastern area with low numbers , and today they said there were no deaths from the hospitals in the eastern region , long may it continue to improve .

Cheers I will check it out, Your haymaking mention reminded me of 76 I was working on a hill farm in N Wales  and we made hay all summer including every bit of old marshy bog  that he had never driven on before, I was as brown as a brown thing, When i got back to Essex the contractor i worked for near Dunmow was selling spuds at the gate for £5 a bag and the mains were the size of a hens egg, luckily the minister for the drought was very good and it rained all winter..😄

Edited by islandgun

12 hours ago, islandgun said:

Cheers I will check it out, Your haymaking mention reminded me of 76 I was working on a hill farm in N Wales  and we made hay all summer including every bit of old marshy bog  that he had never driven on before, I was as brown as a brown thing, When i got back to Essex the contractor i worked for near Dunmow was selling spuds at the gate for £5 a bag and the mains were the size of a hens egg, luckily the minister for the drought was very good and it rained all winter..😄

I well remember the Summer of 1976 , it was a fantastic year for English Partridges , perfect weather for breeding with plenty of insects , the red leg was  as rare then as a wild Grey Partridge is today , we had a farm shoot one Saturday afternoon where me and my brother got an invite and the bag was just short of 100 wild Partridges , this day and age I would have to sell my Bungalow to buy the same sort of day , if you could find one that is .

We were having a few pints in the White Swan along the river one night in 76 when someone came running in to say it was raining , we all went out and stood in the rain as if no one had ever seen rain before , they wernt far wrong really as it had been that long since it last rained for most of us had forgotten what it looked and felt like , like you say , it then started to rain in early September and didn't stop much till the following Spring  .