English Parliament

WalkedUp

With the actions of the devolved parliaments being contrary to the will of the UK parliament it has made me think more and more that we need a devolved English Parliament. All states (Scotland, England, Wales and NI) should have the same devolved power and then greater autonomy. Currently the UK parliament is almost seen as synonymous with an English Parliament. England’s needs are also subsumed by concern for the wider UK. I would suggest a ‘third tier’ city (i.e. not Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds) as the host and preferably in a disadvantaged area. Salford has boomed since the BBC was forced to relocate. Some will see this as feeing the force of dissolution of the union, however I would argue that it is protecting the union by separating anti-English agenda from the nationalist’s dealings with UK Parliament. 

I may run an architecture module on this next year if I’m tutoring in the Master’s again. Any nominations for place to locate or interesting agendas?

The last thing we need is yet another tier of costly bureaucrats and salaried elected placemen! And Prescott suggested it anyway with with regional assemblies for English regions. But the problem you'll always have with anything in the UK is that we have good North to South transport links and appallingly poor East to West transport links. But no we don't need another tier and if we did the old GLC Buulding would suffice if recommissioned or just be done with it and abolish the House of Lords and use that then now otherwise redundant chamber as the "English" Parliament.

Edited by enfieldspares

Indeed - we're in the process of getting rid of one parliament (the EU one) - with its rubber-stamping of reams of unnecessary legislation.

If we were to do anything, is to implement a proper English votes for English only matters in Westminister.  Cost almost nothing.

And as for 'Salford' - I can't speak to that, but the BBC Bristol operation appears to have created its own 'bubble' of production companies and hangers-on.  Which is great, until you remember that all of these people are sucking on the teet of the licence fee, so not actually generating wealth. Unless you count the profits BBC worldwide makes.

1 hour ago, scutt said:

could happen lots of ex M.E.P's out looking for a cushy number (sorry  work  ).

Oh! And I thought that was why elected Mayors and elected Police and Crime Commissioners were created? And don't even get me on the House of Lords. Which we should certainly now abolish and replace with something more directly accountable. Give ex-MPs their titles if they want but don't then give them £350 a week to sit on red leather benches in addition to a nice fat MPs pension.

Edited by enfieldspares

18 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'd rather see power bought back to Westminster and devolved government done away with.

What a good idea.The Welsh government being Labour run seems hell bent to do something different to the Westminster government just to make a statement.We in Wales are still in lockdown ,with restrictions on travel and shopping,and no easing in sight.Retail and tourism going down the tubes but the first minister and his tribe are happy they are doing it differently to Westminster.

I would be in favour of rolling back devolution fully to have sovereignty back in Westminster, but can’t see it happening. With the current system the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Parliament are prototypes of full independence. The system is dysfunctional and will not last. I would like to engineer an outcome that ensures the survival of the union, rather than resist change and allow it to collapse. Evolution not revolution. 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

It's a no from me too.

Interested in the link to architecture you made, would you be tendering for the design of a new building or is this an academic study along the lines of  "applying modular architecture patterns to UK governance" 😛 

🤣 No, they wouldn’t trust civic architecture to a regional practice. My involvement would be purely theoretical even if it came to fruition. The focus would be on the architecture of democracy - just as a nice change from medium scale urban residential projects.

What’s the next model then? I’m interested in alternatives. Could be pointless replicating what we already have and are unhappy with. What works well? I assume we can all happily discount the American system. Presidential democracy is the most dangerous export the US have. 

I’m quoting the West Wing 🤣 but maybe misquoting as it’s at least 20 years old. 

Presidential democracy is the most dangerous export the US have. 

We appear to be a long way down the road. Years ago, the parties published their manifesto and held meetings to explain and answer questions. fast forward to last few elections which have become very presidential. One the one side - Boris, the maverick, womaniser, part time fibber and more vaudeville than serious politician. On the other side - Jezzer - serial liar, friend of any terrorist, nepotistic, lacking any personality, with very dodgy friends and lacking any credible policy

No wonder the Tories won. By the next election, I predict that Boris will have gone, whilst the Labour party will be led by Gordon Brown's successor in the charisma stakes - Keir Starmer.  The Tories could run a stuffed dummy against Starmer and still hope to win.