Had a bit of a scare this morning

B725

I took my dog out this morning on some barley stubble just started working him when he had what looked like a fit.  For a little dog he is heavy trying to carry him home in a hurry. He's been to thevet's and they think he must have had something stuck in his mouth and are are fairly confident it wasn't a fit. He is absolutely fine now  thank God.

That is scary. My GSP got a piece of stubble stuck across the back of his mouth once in a similar way and was gagging and shaking his head. Fortunately he was well trained to let me look anywhere I wanted and I stuck my finger down his mouth and flicked it out.  Hope your little chap recovers.

I have just taken him a short walk but just on the playing field's and you wouldn't think anything had happened, back to his busy self. It's not something I wish to see again, the field we went to this morning still has last year's barley swaths on that didn't get bailed and it's quite hard and brittle, fingers crossed its going to be a one off. £173 for the vet to check him over this morning. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now getting concerned half an hour ago Stan was asleep in his box when he came flying into the living room bounding about as though something had bit him. He knocked over a chair then started growling, something he's never done. He has also wet himself it only lasted 30 or 40 seconds. He was frightened but calmed down fairly quickly and let me clean him up and the slobber from his mouth. Back to the vet's first thing in morning. 

Hi Alli 

I let him stay with us last night, I wouldn't normally let him up stairs but at least we could keep an eye on him. 

After he calmed down he has been fine and he is sat on my knee right now and you wouldn't think anything had happened. 

Hi Alli

He has been fine all day apart from going to the vet's , this vet was very good he has said his heart and lungs sound perfect,he has taken some blood samples and will phone me later tonight. I've taken him for a bit of a run with a couple of retrieves and he has just scoffed his meal now lay on the sofa next to me, everything I have two of is crossed. The vet did say I could still work him , I will look at him just picking up instead of beating providing it doesn't get worse or whatever it is can be corrected.

Well the vet's just phoned and it looks like little Stan has the early stages of epilepsy all we can do is keep an eye on him and told to lead a normal life including working him. The blood test showed nothing unusual. If he has another fit we will then start medication.

I'm not well versed in how epilepsy affects dogs but would there be something specific that would trigger it? Like how humans with certain types of  epilesy can have a sensitivity to different kinds of lights and sounds? Hopefully along with medication you can find ways of avoiding fits being triggered