Which language course?

Doc Holliday

I have a Russian friend who has asked me to help train her and build up her strength, etc. I said sure, and in return she could help me learn Russian (language that has held a fascination for me for some time), to which she totally scoffed at and said it was too difficult. Well, not being one to be so easily thwarted, and if only to prove her wrong, I thought I'd have a look at some apps and see what I could use whilst I am driving around. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as always.

26 minutes ago, islandgun said:

wifes doing Scottish Gaelic

I would have thought that living up your way she'd be pretty up on it already by this time. No?

To the OP. 

10 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as always

Rosetta Stone is reckoned to be the gold standard of online learning courses. The hitch is that it's not free as some others are so I suppose it depends how committed you are.

But honestly,  you might want to try a couple of free ones like Duolingo first. Ow you feel now might not be the same a few months down the road. In that respect language learning software  has a lot in common with home gym equipment..... :)

Try eBay for stuff. For you that wants to learn it there will be a dozen that have, or have given up, and are selling their stuff on eBay. I learned my French the old way...by rote...from a man who had been a translator at the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials and, before that, part of the SOE in French speaking Belgium. He was a stickler for accents. As accents could be, he said, literally, a matter of life and death.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030013566

Edited by enfieldspares

10 hours ago, Retsdon said:

I would have thought that living up your way she'd be pretty up on it already by this time. No?

To the OP. 

Rosetta Stone is reckoned to be the gold standard of online learning courses. The hitch is that it's not free as some others are so I suppose it depends how committed you are.

But honestly,  you might want to try a couple of free ones like Duolingo first. Ow you feel now might not be the same a few months down the road. In that respect language learning software  has a lot in common with home gym equipment..... :)

My children are bi-lingual, [my eldest daughter studies at gaelic college ]   my wife does have French and is an improver with Gaelic. I have a smattering of a few including English

At one firm that I worked, we were required to list the foreign languages that we spoke with our level of proficiency.

One of my colleagues listed English and, when challenged, argued that he had been brought up in North Wales and didn't speak a word of English until he went to school. I think that he only listed his proficiency at 90% 😁