M.O.T.

steve_b_wales

As most vehicle owners know, the government has extended the M.O.T. by six months, should your's expire. Mine expired in April. There are two garages that have now opened in my area, who do M.O.T.'s but they have not got good reputations. The one I've used for the past 9 years is still closed. Am I still allowed to drive my vehicle with an expired M.O.T.?

Have a look on mot check and it will tell you the new expiry date. One of the vans ran out on the 3rd of april its now the 3rd of october. The other van runs out on the 27th of this month and it hasnt changed. One of our 7.5 tonners runs out this month and i havent a clue what will happen with that as there was a 3 month wait and you can only book 3 months ahead!

10 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Have a look on mot check and it will tell you the new expiry date. One of the vans ran out on the 3rd of april its now the 3rd of october. The other van runs out on the 27th of this month and it hasnt changed. One of our 7.5 tonners runs out this month and i havent a clue what will happen with that as there was a 3 month wait and you can only book 3 months ahead!

Thanks

8 minutes ago, B725 said:

Still 6months extension applies you don't have to go for a test paper. 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks

Thanks

UPDATE:

I've just checked online and my M.O.T. is valid for six months from the expiry date. 😊

A friend who is a MOT tester is concerned that if everybody waits until October there won't be enough capacity to do them all.

I was looking to buy a car that was claimed to have an MOT until October. When I checked it turned out the MOT had really expired but the 6 month extension took it until October.

47 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

As I understand it, you are allowed to drive your vehicle with MOT expired, to a booked MOT appointment only. Your test examiner should be able to confirm this.

FB

They have given everyone an extra 6 months due to Covid as the MOT garages are closed. 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

They have given everyone an extra 6 months due to Covid as the MOT garages are closed. 

The mot station's have never closed, I took my Freelander last week it now has 13months mot no advisories. The guy there was saying a lot of people are just using the extension as an excuse not to have it done. The guy before me was fuming as they failed his car as one of the tyres was worn down to the metal braiding.

6 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

The question was "can I drive with an expired MOT". We all know about the extension given, but that wasn't the question was it.

FB

But it is what he was referring to was it not? No need to go all “Well technically...”. 

6 minutes ago, B725 said:

The mot station's have never closed, I took my Freelander last week it now has 13months mot no advisories. The guy there was saying a lot of people are just using the extension as an excuse not to have it done. The guy before me was fuming as they failed his car as one of the tyres was worn down to the metal braiding.

What did he expect?

4 hours ago, B725 said:

Maybe in your area, mine certainly did.

• 2 weeks later...

If at all possible take your vehicle for MOT to a franchised dealer for your vehicle brand that has an MOT station (some garages sub-contract the work to a 3rd party, avoid these)

Why?

1) The MOT tester will likely be a time-served apprentice and understand what is normal/acceptable for your vehicle because they have experience.

2) If something fails it maybe a known issue with manufacturer support.

3) Franchised dealers are rarely 'looking for work' as routine servicing of newer stuff is easy money/easily scheduled

Edited by Cosmicblue

19 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

If at all possible take your vehicle for MOT to a franchised dealer for your vehicle brand that has an MOT station (some garages sub-contract the work to a 3rd party, avoid these)

Why?

1) The MOT tester will likely be a time-served apprentice and understand what is normal/acceptable for your vehicle because they have experience.

3) Franchised dealers are rarely 'looking for work' as routine servicing of newer stuff is easy money/easily scheduled

Sorry pal that advice is rubbish .

Had a testing station/garage for 20 years  tested cars for over thirty years all stations and examiners  are overseen by the vehicle inspectorate who make sure testing is delivered to the correct standard no matter who owns the garage .

The investment needed to become a testing station is no small beer and the majority don't play hard and fast with the rules the threat of fines prison sentences  and cancelling the authority to test is a great leveller in the way M.O.T.'S are carried out. 

23 hours ago, scutt said:

Sorry pal that advice is rubbish .

On 01/07/2020 at 13:55, Cosmicblue said:

Why?

If there is a "known problem with a certain vehicle model " vosa give guidelines on testing that vehicle and normally give advice on what is acceptable /what is,a fail . Nissan primera front suspension play is one that sticks in memory

(Mot tester for 25+yrs now retired) the station I tested at was a dedicated testing station (no workshops only carried out mot tests) for class 1,2,3,4,5 &7. We had loads of customers who had been to "the dealers" for a mot and came away with a large list of fails that not all were fails .

One instance vosa brought a car in for inspection that had failed on loads at the local ford dealer and owner complained to vosa . The tester at ford lost his ticket for failing quite a few things that should of been "pass & advised " namely he failed all 4 coil springs for being rusty .... not excessive or broken . Failed for having wheel trims fitted (advisory) along with a few more .

So going on experience I agree with scutt

Edited by hodge911