Gerber

Ultrastu

So im thinking of getting one of these  gerber versafix knives .this it the pro model .

My  cheap machete broke yesterday which chopping some wood for a fire .and i need a replacement for hide buliding ,camping etc .

Its 9 inch long and pretty light at 325 grm and 3 mm thick .i wondered if anybody on the forum has one before i buy one .

20200614_181927.png

Im not sure as gerber as a brand are not well received they get a lot of poor reviews. On a range of products .

Though so far what i can find on this knife is ok while not amazing .

It looks to fit the bill for what i need in terms of size and weight shape etc.

Im just a bit suspect of the chinese build quality  . 

Don't have one but not great reviews with cheap steel and poor edge geometery and don't like Skelton cut outs near handle as this is subject to shock and likely breaking point if banging into wood.

Better knife would be Kershaw Camp 10 or Martindale Golok.

Edited by Stonepark

I REALLY like the look of the kershaw camp10 ..its a awesome knife and far better than the gerber bit like every thing that strength  and power comes at a weight cost and price cost to .£75 to the gerbers £42 The machete that i just broke was a cheap £15 jobbie from a fair .but i loved it becaise it was cheap .i just threw it in the kit bag and didnt care .it was sharp and long ..perfect for hide building .but i guess wood chopping was a step too far..

So this time im still looking for cheap  ish but with a bit a strength and longevity same light weight but a touch more compact .for carrying .

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

british-army-golok-machete-1979_1_aabd083b8b3607560788dceec98816f7.jpg

Buy a proper one not a toy!

This is the original Mk one

Golok, also miss known as a machete.

I had mine issued brand new in 1975 the only new one I've ever seen, so never handed it back. Kept it razor sharp and despite them being called tree beaters mine gave sterling service.

I was more than a little upset when it was left by mistake overnight on my daughters allotment and her shed was broken into and it stolen.

I now use a small hand axe and a pair of secateurs for hide building and other stuff.

You just don't seem to be able to buy anything decent or that doesn't have a bottle opener or some other non sensecal imaginary second use. Failing that some kind of Ramboesce rubbish designed for the simple minded to play with.

11 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

british-army-golok-machete-1979_1_aabd083b8b3607560788dceec98816f7.jpg

Buy a proper one not a toy!

This is the original Mk one

I got one almost identical from mole Valley, I think it was 11 quid. I've bashed the hell out of it in  the garden on all sorts of things and split some wood with it for kindling. Still going strong 7 years later. Can't go far wrong with that as it does what its intended to go. 

Relatively heavy blade and quite thick, handle is OK. Takes punishment. Ideal for a machete. 

Edited by GingerCat

I pitched my machete (before it broke ) up against my hatchet .for chopping some wood for fire .the machete weighs 350 grm the hatchet 850 grm .

All things considered i decided that the machete to be the better all round tool. The hatchet os a one trick pony .it chops and splits wood .that machete .can also do that and much more amd at less than half the weight easier to carry somewhere .

So new machete for me it is.

Im just a bit loathed to get a massive heavy one .as effective as it would be.

I still want to carry it for hide making  .

I very much appreciate  the imput .and its good to see other machete fans (ive had mine about 3 years till yesterday  )

I think i will get that gerber .i know its a compromise  knife but sometimes thats whats required .and at £42 its not too precious  to use hard and abuse.