Recoil Pads

jking

Hi,

I've just bought a new gun which has a Decelerator pad fitted (made by Pachmyr I think?) which is 1 inch thick. I want to reduce the LOP by a quarter of an inch without cutting the stock down. I would like to cover the pad in leather after any alterations.

What I'm wondering is what is inside that recoil pad? Can I reduce the thickness of the pad or do I need to buy a new pad?

If reducing the thickness is possible I will then reduce the outer profile slightly and cover the pad in leather, so I'm not too bothered about the appearance of the rubber pad. I just wondered if it could be reduced in thickness and still function?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, jking said:

Hi,

I've just bought a new gun which has a Decelerator pad fitted (made by Pachmyr I think?) which is 1 inch thick. I want to reduce the LOP by a quarter of an inch without cutting the stock down. I would like to cover the pad in leather after any alterations.

What I'm wondering is what is inside that recoil pad? Can I reduce the thickness of the pad or do I need to buy a new pad?

If reducing the thickness is possible I will then reduce the outer profile slightly and cover the pad in leather, so I'm not too bothered about the appearance of the rubber pad. I just wondered if it could be reduced in thickness and still function?

Thanks

Look on the pachymar Lyman site, they come in small, med and large and thicknesses from 0.6 inch to 1 inch in black and brown.

5 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

No the current pad can’t be shortened.  If you want to leather cover the existing pad you’ll need to grind it narrower than the stock so when the leather is fitted it all comes up flush. 

Thanks for the reply. Ok that's a shame then, looks like I'll need to get a new pad and grind it down sub flush as I need it to be shorter than the existing pad.

At least that way I can grind it down off the stock as I don't fancy risking damaging my stock! 

Thanks for your help