What tree does this leaf belong to?

steve_b_wales

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there are several genus of elm and all the leafs are slightly different....what elm is that do you know...is it a whitch elm ?

I haven't a clue to be honest, and didn't even realise that I have some Elm planted. I usually grow Horse Chestnut and Oak. This year though, I have Beech, Walnut and some American Red Oak. I'll check online to see if I can match the leaf to a tree. As you mentioned, there's many Elm varieties.

11 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've actually got this app' and it's good.

The saplings are 'babies' approx 5-6 month old. I've certain that they are A.R.O. but could be wrong (it's been known!😊) The pot's that they are in are labelled as such. I'll try and find out.

UPDATE:

Well, it doesn't come up on the App' as an American Red Oak, so now I haven't a clue what it is. I know I have some of the Red Oaks planted, so I'll have to sort them out. On a positive note, if anyone want's some Oak saplings (definitely Oak!) they are welcome to some, just cover postage/packing costs.

46 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Well, the plot thickens. I've just taken these photo's which clearly show 'Acorns'. These are the same saplings/ leaves as the 'American Red Oak' I have planted.

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Maybe a Red Filbert ( similar to a Hazel Nut ) 

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

hazel contortous ?

the 1st one 

I'm confused enough as it is! I'll check online (again) 😊

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I have red oak in my wood and also whitebeam and hornbeam and that leaf is certainly not red oak. It is one or the other ...beams, they are very similar.

I think it was you who sent me a few American Red Oak acorns?

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm confused enough as it is! I'll check online (again) 😊

I think it was you who sent me a few American Red Oak acorns?

i have a "twisted hazel" in the garden which is over 40 years old.......i will put a pic up if you need it 

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have loaned out my big book on European and British trees or I could be more precise as that gives excellent portrayals of the leaves of all the trees.

There's an App' that I have on my tablet called 'British Trees'. It's good and by process of elimination, (shape of leaves etc etc) it narrows down the number of possibilities.

So it was a hazel (of sorts) and Moor man was right. Congratulations, this is an interesting thread, I would never have guessed the Elm leaf because they were almost wiped off the face of the earth by Dutch elm disease and you just don't expect to see them. I remember them dying, will Ash be next?

57 minutes ago, ditchman said:

look Mr Wales .............i hope you are not sending the wrong stuff to people..........you will be getting complaints in a 100 years time........

"Oi Wales....i wanted a 'orse chesnut....not a bloody...siberian oak tree......"

Well when Steve sent me horse chestnuts that's what I got and when he sent me Oaks, that was what I got, so his record is good!

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well when Steve sent me horse chestnuts that's what I got and when he sent me Oaks, that was what I got, so his record is good!

Thank You. 😊 

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

Steve 

Think what you are doing is great - growing all these trees 

BUT and sorry but there always seems to be a but 

Could you not just grow native species to help our wildlife?

I have grown many 100's of Oak, Horse Chestnut, Sweet Chestnut and (now) Beech, Elm and Walnut. I estimated that in the past 17 years, well over 1000 trees have been grown by me, and handed out to those who want them. I think I've done a hell of lot to help our wildlife.