Rashford demanding Free Meals for poor children during the summer holidays

fern01

I find this strange from a multi-millionaire footballer

Are the parents not covered by the statuary benefits system or unable to pay for them ?

Do the parents of these children not have mobile phones, Sky subscriptions, smoke, drink etc and don't prioritise their spending

Perhaps someone can explain if I am missing the point here

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Good for him I say. Whatever the reason or problem, I think it’s abhorrent that children should suffer the consequences. 

Maybe I am old fashioned but feeding your children is a parents first responsibility

He has raised around £20M in support of feeding impoverished kids. In the interviews he cites his own childhood experiences of food rationing in his own home, how he'd eat at friends on occasions and the fact he transitioned onto the MUFC youth scheme a year earlier in pursuit of getting fed properly.

From a humanitarian perspective, it doesn't really matter what the kids parents, do or don't do or have, the thought of many people that kids going hungry in the 5th largest economy in 2020 is unacceptable. If the government won't cough up for it, even in these most strained times, then people like Markus have a right to voice their opinion and I will support in spirit as well as personal donations...

Just now, fern01 said:

Maybe I am old fashioned but feeding your children is a parents first responsibility

Not old fashioned, just decent. A lack of decency around parental responsibility has existed since time immemorial, throughout the world.

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

He has raised around £20M in support of feeding impoverished kids. In the interviews he cites his own childhood experiences of food rationing in his own home, how he'd eat at friends on occasions and the fact he transitioned onto the MUFC youth scheme a year earlier in pursuit of getting fed properly.

From a humanitarian perspective, it doesn't really matter what the kids parents, do or don't do or have, the thought of many people that kids going hungry in the 5th largest economy in 2020 is unacceptable. If the government won't cough up for it, even in these most strained times, then people like Markus have a right to voice their opinion and I will support in spirit as well as personal donations...

The Government have already set aside £53M for the feeding through summer when the schools will be closed. To staff the school kitchens to feed a relatively few children makes no sense.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The Government have already set aside £53M for the feeding through summer when the schools will be closed. To staff the school kitchens to feed a relatively few children makes no sense.

That's a fair point. I've never known what it's like to be hungry, and was brought up with values that present you eat what is put in front of you. People who were not afforded that luxury previously did not have a voice. Markus has given them a voice and actually done something about it, I see no problem with that (and I really don't like Man Utd).

6 minutes ago, fern01 said:

Yes, it is, but for whatever reason that isn’t happening, so like I said, it’s not the child’s fault so I see no reason why they should suffer the consequences. 

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Not old fashioned, just decent. A lack of decency around parental responsibility has existed since time immemorial, throughout the world.

bang on the money we should start with collecting the millions and millions of pounds outstanding from dead beat parents who saddle the rest of us with THEIR bills 

Just now, Scully said:

Yes, it is, but for whatever reason that isn’t happening, so like I said, it’s not the child’s fault so I see no reason why they should suffer the consequences. 

Its a pretty poor parent that would allow their child to go hungry or expect the Government to feed them

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

This ^^^ it's not the childs fault. Fortunately the government has done another U turn and followed Scotlands lead. 

Family down the road from us with 4 kids of school age. 

They qualify for free school meals during normal term time due to being ‘low earners’

At the moment, as the kids are off school they are receiving £19.50 a week per child to cover their meals. 

The system is screwed. 

Edited by WelshAndy

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good for him I say. Whatever the reason or problem, I think it’s abhorrent that children should suffer the consequences. 

Well said (oh my god we agree on something).  

Guys, please don't write off all people supported by the state as scroungers, it doesn't take much for people to fall down a trapdoor, especially as we face a horrible financial world.  Yes some people abuse the system out of laziness, sense of entitlement or just fraud but some really hard working people need this support.

As Scully says, no mater what the cause, Kids should not be made to suffer.

12 minutes ago, PPP said:

Well said (oh my god we agree on something).  

Guys, please don't write off all people supported by the state as scroungers, it doesn't take much for people to fall down a trapdoor, especially as we face a horrible financial world.  Yes some people abuse the system out of laziness, sense of entitlement or just fraud but some really hard working people need this support.

As Scully says, no mater what the cause, Kids should not be made to suffer.

PPP, you Rashford and Scully are obviously kind and caring people who hate the idea of children suffering

It is a condemnation of our current society that the Government is expected to take over a priority parental responsibility

I think food and clothing vouchers may be the only way to solve the issue long-term. If parents can spend their UC/Child benefit on fags, booze and phones, while expecting the state to pay twice to feed their kids, then they system is broken and kids should NEVER be in that situation. Some may need genuine help, but the benefits system is pretty inclusive and, if some can afford big TVs, expensive trainers and 20 fags a day, then  anyone should be able to feed their offspring.

26 minutes ago, PPP said:

Well said @PPP and that is what the state benefit system is supposed to be there for - i.e. support the needy - except nowadays it support the wanty predominantly.

A lot of the trap doors are artificial as well - Lost your job? have a (mortgaged) house - well that will need to go - have savings - ha - come back and see us when you have used them - let people get into absolute despair with debts piled high that they will have a hard chance to ever get out of it before they will offer any help. 

Meanwhile - to quote an example of the woman that lives behind us - the house is private (not rented) but she doesn't work - her ex-husband is a labourer so I doubt that he is paying the mortgage - all her kids (4) have left now - two daughters are living in private rented houses within 100 yrds and have one has 3 and the other 4 kids between them - and yep - don't work.

Meanwhile they still get child benefit (we have lost ours) plus they will be getting (not all of them because some are not at school) their school dinners payment every week.

My wife and I were married 5 years before we felt we were in a place to have children, and then took a further 5 years to actually get pregnant and now have two teenagers. We admit the second wasn't planned for as we were caught on the hop with our age. However we had to think hard to make that decision while we see some that are popping out kids left right and center.

This needs to be looked at - and stopped - because this money isn't coming from nowhere - it comes from the people that will get the least support when they need it as I detailed above.

How to do this - that is an answer that I don't know but this (analogy) has just popped to mind

In nature, if there is a excess of wildlife for the food supply (lets take this as a metaphor for jobs), the population will naturally decrease until they reach a level where they will reach a balance. If it is a short term interruption in the food supply it can be topped up by perhaps people putting food there for them but this can't be maintained for ever as that wildlife will grow to be totally dependent on that food source, especially their offspring. If it is a long term issue, then either the wildlife has to adapt to what is available, or move elsewhere - or unfortunately die (don't get me wrong - I am not saying that people should die - it's an analogy)

And no - I don't want to see children starving in any way - but the issues do have to be addressed. 

41 minutes ago, fern01 said:

PPP, you Rashford and Scully are obviously kind and caring people who hate the idea of children suffering

It is a condemnation of our current society that the Government is expected to take over a priority parental responsibility

Quite... far too many people popping out kids without thinking who will provide the finance but more importantly the time, care and education that kids need.  However, it isn't the kids fault and sometimes the parents fall on hard times.

1 hour ago, fern01 said:

Its a pretty poor parent that would allow their child to go hungry or expect the Government to feed them

Again, yes it is, but again it’s not the child’s fault. What are the alternatives? Would you expect children to starve because they have useless parents? 

1 hour ago, fern01 said:

I completely agree. I'm a minority being in the under 30's age category and believing that people rely far too heavily on the state in current times. As has already been previously mentioned, these parents all have expensive smart phones, large flat screen TV's etc etc. The average benefit income in the UK makes a mockery of those in the lower working class income brackets. I feel genuinely sorry for people working they're ***** off, possibly even working multiple jobs, pulling in approximately the same per annum as a single mother with 3 kids working 16 hours a week down the local cafe... 

Where is the incentive to get up and go to work? 

4 minutes ago, discobob said:

Well said @PPP and that is what the state benefit system is supposed to be there for - i.e. support the needy - except nowadays it support the wanty predominantly.

A lot of the trap doors are artificial as well - Lost your job? have a (mortgaged) house - well that will need to go - have savings - ha - come back and see us when you have used them - let people get into absolute despair with debts piled high that they will have a hard chance to ever get out of it before they will offer any help. 

Meanwhile - to quote an example of the woman that lives behind us - the house is private (not rented) but she doesn't work - her ex-husband is a labourer so I doubt that he is paying the mortgage - all her kids (4) have left now - two daughters are living in private rented houses within 100 yrds and have one has 3 and the other 4 kids between them - and yep - don't work.

Meanwhile they still get child benefit (we have lost ours) plus they will be getting (not all of them because some are not at school) their school dinners payment every week.

My wife and I were married 5 years before we felt we were in a place to have children, and then took a further 5 years to actually get pregnant and now have two teenagers. We admit the second wasn't planned for as we were caught on the hop with our age. However we had to think hard to make that decision while we see some that are popping out kids left right and center.

This needs to be looked at - and stopped - because this money isn't coming from nowhere - it comes from the people that will get the least support when they need it as I detailed above.

How to do this - that is an answer that I don't know but this (analogy) has just popped to mind

In nature, if there is a excess of wildlife for the food supply (lets take this as a metaphor for jobs), the population will naturally decrease until they reach a level where they will reach a balance. If it is a short term interruption in the food supply it can be topped up by perhaps people putting food there for them but this can't be maintained for ever as that wildlife will grow to be totally dependent on that food source, especially their offspring. If it is a long term issue, then either the wildlife has to adapt to what is available, or move elsewhere - or unfortunately die (don't get me wrong - I am not saying that people should die - it's an analogy)

And no - I don't want to see children starving in any way - but the issues do have to be addressed. 

Yep, the system needs reform, it doesn't work for this who truly need it and works far too well for those who play it..

No child should starve in this day and age however the system needs urgent reform. Ive been in many houses and see large tv's with sky subscriptions,  xboxs,  nice car o the drive, big leather sofa, packets of fags, fridge full of beer and no one in that house has worked in their life. thats not right. If only it was the odd one but its nit. 

They system was designed to catch you if you fell and until you got back to work. not provide an alternate lifestyle choice paid for by the tax payers. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Absolutely. My partner and I do emergency shelter for young people. Usually we're a stop gap between parents and foster care, to get them out of a dangerous situation and into something that hopefully will be better. Over the weekend we've had a teenager here. Parents split up when the YP was 12, and on Friday, the mother drove them from Reading to Bournemouth, tipped the kid out onto the street and drove off. 

When parents behave like that to their own children, who picks up the pieces, because it's not going to be the teenager who wants to be a lawyer but right now just needs a bed and some food?

Rashford's always come across as a kid who's been brought up properly, despite the poverty and there are plenty of parents/single parents like that out there doing whatever they can to provide for their kids as best they can, but sometimes that's not enough. Plenty more that aren't, of course, but it's great to see a kid (and he really is still a kid!) use influence and status to do something about it - to the shame of the parents who shirk their responsibility and the relief of those who don't.