Bird id

amateur

13 minutes ago, amateur said:

It looks a bit big for a thrush.

I've never seen a peregrine round here, but I suppose, why not?

There’s a few about in Kent mate , Seen a few around Canterbury Cathedral ..

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, go with that but a peregrin with a small morsel in it's mouth looks like a snail shell, that led me to the mistle thrush idea.   Could be a male sparrow hawk turned vegetarian.

The chest markings are wrong for the sparrow hawk , they have a more horizontal marking rather than the vertical ones of the (juvenile)  perigrine ..

Edited by moose man

I sent the team's id to my daughter, who replied "Oh, I know. They were introduced to control the pigeon population around the building" !!!!!!

I had no idea

Edited by amateur

18 hours ago, amateur said:

I sent the team's id to my daughter, who replied "Oh, I know. They were introduced to control the pigeon population around the building" !!!!!!

I had no idea

I was going to say that the setting looked familiar - seen it on a program "Iolo Williams ......." where he talked about this - is it taken in Wales somewhere??

5 hours ago, discobob said:

I was going to say that the setting looked familiar - seen it on a program "Iolo Williams ......." where he talked about this - is it taken in Wales somewhere??

No! Deepest London suburbia at Marlowe House, Sidcup

Edited by amateur

3 hours ago, amateur said:

No! Deepest London suburbia at Marlowe House, Sidcup

I know that very well. Lived 5mins walk from there for a few years [moved away 20yrs ago] and I'm sure peregrines were seen there then, although I never saw any. My ex still lives there and regularly sees sparrowhawks in her garden, surrounded by feathers and munching on a kill 😁

2 hours ago, JKD said:

I know that very well. Lived 5mins walk from there for a few years [moved away 20yrs ago] and I'm sure peregrines were seen there then, although I never saw any. My ex still lives there and regularly sees sparrowhawks in her garden, surrounded by feathers and munching on a kill 😁

I'd imagine theres enough pigeons around to support them,  duck off Foots Cray meadows and the Glade. Ha, that's taken me back!

19 hours ago, treetree said:

I'd imagine theres enough pigeons around to support them,  duck off Foots Cray meadows and the Glade. Ha, that's taken me back!

Blimey, me too. That whole area is my old 'manor' so to speak, spent the first 19 years of my life in that general area 😊

Lots of feral and wood pigeons in that area to feed many a raptor.

Used to fish for the beautiful rudd in the Glade, and was known to have the odd dabble in the river Cray in the meadows 😀 Caught my biggest ever roach in the 'lake',,,, 1 lb 14 oz 😀 Used to know just about every blade of grass and tree there,,,, loved the place 🙂 Still drive past it regularly.

Edited by JKD

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

North Cray meadows now overrun by those damned ring necked parakeets.

I wonder if a peregrine would take one of those?

Are they still there ? They first appeared many years ago and gathered mainly in that double line of trees just below the upper car park. Was told very recently that they don't frequent there much now 🤔 'orrible noisy screechy things 😡 I think they would be too fast for a peregrine, but hope I'm wrong 👍

They are all over this area. I haven't been on the meadows yet this year, but they were certainly there last year when we took our youngest grand-daughters there for a picnic last year.

I spent my late teens in North Cray