Bird id

amateur

13 minutes ago, amateur said:

They are all over this area. I haven't been on the meadows yet this year, but they were certainly there last year when we took our youngest grand-daughters there for a picnic last year.

I spent my late teens in North Cray

I used to cycle there from New Eltham to go fishing,,,, rod tied to my bike, bag of stuff round my neck/shoulders 😊 Millions of minnows in the stream just below the bridge, a few gudgeon and I caught a very small chub once as well. That was in the very early 70's, so a loooong time ago 😮

20 minutes ago, amateur said:

I might have seen you fishing there.

We lived in North Cray 1968-1974

Possibly,,,, we [my brother and I] used to try to get to the 'hot-spot', which was a fallen tree about 50yds below the bridge, before the local kids got there. We weren't always successful 😂The stream used to be black with minnows and gudgeon. So you might have been one of those pesky kids 🤔🤣

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Blimey, me too. That whole area is my old 'manor' so to speak, spent the first 19 years of my life in that general area 😊

Lots of feral and wood pigeons in that area to feed many a raptor.

Used to fish for the beautiful rudd in the Glade, and was known to have the odd dabble in the river Cray in the meadows 😀 Caught my biggest ever roach in the 'lake',,,, 1 lb 14 oz 😀 Used to know just about every blade of grass and tree there,,,, loved the place 🙂 Still drive past it regularly.

I wasn't Sidcups biggest fan (also spent the first 18 years of my life there, but not been back once in the 20 years since I moved away). 

But Foots Cray Meadows (or Five Arches as we called it) was a true oasis for a boy who spent his whole time there wishing he lived in the countryside. Fished the sticklebacks downstream of the bridge and spent literally hours there walking with my first dog. 

Would also fish the Glade (Hurstmere school end) but would soon be chased off. Never did get one of those ( what seemed like) huge carps in there.

49 minutes ago, treetree said:

I wasn't Sidcups biggest fan (also spent the first 18 years of my life there, but not been back once in the 20 years since I moved away). 

But Foots Cray Meadows (or Five Arches as we called it) was a true oasis for a boy who spent his whole time there wishing he lived in the countryside. Fished the sticklebacks downstream of the bridge and spent literally hours there walking with my first dog. 

Would also fish the Glade (Hurstmere school end) but would soon be chased off. Never did get one of those ( what seemed like) huge carps in there.

Yup, we knew it as the five arches too. My last memory of fishing there was in the 1976 drought,,,, it was only one or two arches then, as that was where the trickle of water, well, trickled 😕

Some good memories from there since,,,, trying to catch the carp round the islands,,,, never even hooked one. Walking with my then GF and her red setter, and it rolling in horse pooh 🤣 It's a special place, to me anyway 😊

As for the Glade, we fished bread via a bubble float in the holes in the vast weed,,,, never landed anything of decent size. Remember the archers on the lawn of that big house ?

Call yourselves countrymen you can see straight away it’s a peregrine I think most of yous want to start studying your wildlife before you start pulling a trigger just so you know what is what.I think it is shocking some muppet even come up with a mistle thrush JESUS