Feeling slightly depressed!

steve_b_wales

Today should have been my first 'whole' day in Hurghada Egypt, I was due there at 7pm UK time last night. Flight only with TUI was cancelled. What with working in social care (private mental health hospital) and having to wear PPE including the horrible masks, this is one holiday I could have done with. The annoying thing is that I/We never book a holiday in June, we usually go at the beginning of March, so could have possibly missed the lockdown there etc. On top of all this, I had to take my two weeks annual leave, and now stuck in the house. We, in Wales, cannot travel more than five miles, so that's put paid to me visiting the many places that I used to go to.

I've got two weeks annual leave towards the end of November, and hope that flights etc will be 'back to normal'. 

That's absolutely gutting mate, I really feel for you and your family, I hope things work out for you in November Steve, I know it's a way off but hopefully you and your family will get a descent break before then, ATB mate, Ian. 

If you fancy Cumbria we have a static your welcome to use free of charge.

4 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

That's absolutely gutting mate, I really feel for you and your family, I hope things work out for you in November Steve, I know it's a way off but hopefully you and your family will get a descent break before then, ATB mate, Ian. 

If you fancy Cumbria we have a static your welcome to use free of charge.

When your able to travel of course.

Edited by rapid .25

Bad luck. Our Mauritius flights for early July were cancelled last week (and BA refunded the money within a couple of hours). We still have flights booked to the MIL’s villa in Portugal for beginning of August. If the flights get cancelled we are going to drive which in the Tesla will be an experience. 

10 minutes ago, AVB said:

Bad luck. Our Mauritius flights for early July were cancelled last week (and BA refunded the money within a couple of hours). We still have flights booked to the MIL’s villa in Portugal for beginning of August. If the flights get cancelled we are going to drive which in the Tesla will be an experience. 

Did you do anything out of the ordinary to get your BA money back because I’m still waiting for a response to a complaint at being ignored for a refund on a flight cancelled over the Easter weekend..

11 minutes ago, Sian said:

Did you do anything out of the ordinary to get your BA money back because I’m still waiting for a response to a complaint at being ignored for a refund on a flight cancelled over the Easter weekend..

I am a Exec club gold card holder and I messaged them via the on-line chat facility as I was having no luck via the phone. They refunded while I was on-line with them. 

16 minutes ago, Sian said:

Regarding refunds, we telephoned/emailed TUI for weeks in regard to our refund. We only found out that all flights were cancelled via the Internet. We finally got through to them last Friday (3 days before our flight date) and were told that they had 'been trying to email me many times'. Total rubbish I told them, and also that they had my address, landline and mobile phone numbers, so why didn't they try them? We only received a refund for the flight. The £72 we paid TUI for airport car parking was not refundable, according to them. We intend to take this further once things get back to normal!

59 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

We only received a refund for the flight.

You're lucky. I have two outstanding flights - one for Mrs R to come here in March and my summer vacation flight in May - and I couldn't get a refund for either. The best I could get out of them were credit notes.

As for holidays, I was due to fly back to Thailand a month ago this week. Now, it's looking more and more likely that I'm not going to get back at all this year because by the time flights start up again, with two weeks quarantine either side,  I'm not going to have time to go and get back before I have to restart work in August. Which means that  if  - with luck - I get back in December for the inter-semester break, it will have been a full year without seeing Mrs R and my kids, or even leaving the walled campus here for anything other than weekly grocery shopping.

And the reason I'm saying all this to make you feel better about your missed holiday. 😀 No matter how bad you think things are - it could always be worse!!! But as long as nobody's sick or dying- time will take care of the rest of it.

Edited by Retsdon

19 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

You're lucky. I have two outstanding flights - one for Mrs R to come here in March and my summer vacation flight in May - and I couldn't get a refund for either. The best I could get out of them were credit notes.

As for holidays, I was due to fly back to Thailand a month ago this week. Now, it's looking more and more likely that I'm not going to get back at all this year because by the time flights start up again, with two weeks quarantine either side,  I'm not going to have time to go and get back before I have to restart work in August. Which means that  if  - with luck - I get back in December for the inter-semester break, it will have been a full year without seeing Mrs R and my kids, or even leaving the walled campus here for anything other than weekly grocery shopping.

And the reason I'm saying all this to make you feel better about your missed holiday. 😀 No matter how bad you think things are - it could always be worse!!! But as long as nobody's sick or dying- time will take care of the rest of it.

I know that there are many people far worse off than myself, whether it's holidays, family etc. I have friends working on the frontline for the NHS and they really are struggling.  My line of work is more stressful than anything, and now that the clients I support cannot go out as much as they (and me) would like, it's staff like myself who get it in the neck, which raises stress levels to an all time high. At least I'm home with my wife, but not looking forward to returning to work in two weeks.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

which raises stress levels to an all time high.

That's the kicker actually. What I try and do is to  try and stand above  my own emotions and stress so as not to 'buy into' them. The trick (and it can be done with practice) is to get some  mental altitude above the emotionally fraught, muddy pig- wrestling which  so often constitutes the grind of daily life..

It'll be all the same in 100 years anyway. Why sweat it?

On 16/06/2020 at 19:47, AVB said:

I hope there will be enough superchargers enroute, good luck.

Egypt is a ****hole steve. Go walking in Brecon. Ten miles every day Then Taffys Café for lunch (if its open?) What could be better than that?

Taffy's café was responsible for me putting on over a stone when I lived in Abercynon, but I still miss it

Simples

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Egypt is a ****hole steve. Go walking in Brecon. Ten miles every day Then Taffys Café for lunch (if its open?) What could be better than that?

Taffy's café was responsible for me putting on over a stone when I lived in Abercynon, but I still miss it

Simples

was in hurgada last november its was the reason the whole world fell out of my **** on the day i was flying home.

packed trousers ,grudies and baby wipes in me hand luggage case it all went wrong :)

lucky the overdose of Imodium but the plug on just in time.

If you ever get the chance to go back, then bin hurghada and opt for el gouna 30 minutes up the coast. Much nicer gated town with amazing marinas. Very artificial,  but also very chilled out. The kitesurfing and Scuba diving centres are amongst the best in the world.

Driving 1200 miles isn’t the end of the world, depending upon the age of your children. Before we had children my wife and I would often drive long distance, the car would always be on the road with us alternating the drive and sleep. If needs must there’s a way. However I would look at flights too. Even if you have to quarantine at home for two weeks upon your return it can’t be that bad.