Signal Crayfish

walshie

Does anyone know if the River Teifi in West Wales contains any signal crayfish? I was going to apply to NR Wales for a permit but thought I'd check if there's any in there first. 

Edited by walshie

43 minutes ago, walshie said:

Does anyone know if the River Teifi in West Wales contains any signal crayfish? I was going to apply to NR Wales for a permit but thought I'd check if there's any in there first. 

Not that I'm aware off. Tho a lot more course fish have appeared over the years, I've seen a pike carcass outside of cwm cou , and often caught small perch in Cenarth. 

Might also be worth emailing the tta (Teifi trout association), some of the balifs would know. Maybe the llandysul lot as well

On 16/06/2020 at 23:06, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, come and try in the Thames it's teaming with the blighters 👎

They would need a good flush out before you could eat them coming out of the Thames I would imagine.

There was a reservoir on one of my permissions that was more crayfish than water. Used to chuck 2 traps out in the morning when I got there and pull them out when I went home. Used to catch 100's of them. The trouble is possessing them at home, the wife used to go into meltdown, Especially when a few escapees would scuttle past her when she was watching Emmerdale.

Needless to say got fed up with crayfish, Crayfish salad, crayfish curry, crayfish soup, crayfish broth, crayfish with steak, crayfish cocktail, kung po crayfish, Battered crayfish, even crayfish on toast. Can't stand the things now.

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

They would need a good flush out before you could eat them coming out of the Thames I would imagine.

There was a reservoir on one of my permissions that was more crayfish than water. Used to chuck 2 traps out in the morning when I got there and pull them out when I went home. Used to catch 100's of them. The trouble is possessing them at home, the wife used to go into meltdown, Especially when a few escapees would scuttle past her when she was watching Emmerdale.

Needless to say got fed up with crayfish, Crayfish salad, crayfish curry, crayfish soup, crayfish broth, crayfish with steak, crayfish cocktail, kung po crayfish, Battered crayfish, even crayfish on toast. Can't stand the things now.

Hello, surprising how they get in inland waterways, a local chap had lots of pots above Abingdon lock and sold the crayfish in London 

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

You sound like Bubba. 

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

You sound like Bubba. 

😂

I know they are in atleast on river locally, I was talking to a bloke a couple years back who said said he had them in the river behind his house, which in turn had a attracted a family of otter's, who then killed all he's carp.

Wasn't a happy bunny. 

Wouldn't mind having access to trapping them though.

Especially if there's a slight chance it can help the natives.

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, surprising how they get in inland waterways, a local chap had lots of pots above Abingdon lock and sold the crayfish in London 

I think your licence only allows for three traps?

the trouble with getting a licence now is the water authorities are coming to the view that the only thing that eats crayfish are bigger crayfish so if the trappers keep taking out the biggest crayfish the population increases.

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I think your licence only allows for three traps?

the trouble with getting a licence now is the water authorities are coming to the view that the only thing that eats crayfish are bigger crayfish so if the trappers keep taking out the biggest crayfish the population increases.

Hello, you maybe right now Vince as he never been for a few years, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

39 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

I' would like to meet the person or persons responsible for the release of red claws and shake them firmly by the Throat 🙄

Escaped from commercial fish farms I believe.

Considering they can be had by the bucket load in some places, you'd think they'd be cheaper in the shops.

13 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Escaped from commercial fish farms I believe.

Considering they can be had by the bucket load in some places, you'd think they'd be cheaper in the shops.

Like almost everything these days there will be some that tell you one thing and some that tell you the opposite. The bailiff that covers our sailing lake and the river beside it is adamant that the food standards agency won't allow you to sell them. Reasons vary according to who you talk to regarding why exactly.

Edited by Vince Green