Where Would You Say Is The Best County For Pigeons

marsh man

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I am sure he lived around mitcheldever as I think he sent pigeons on the train to London market, I started going to the game fair in the 1970s and remember eleys stand, must of missed Archie ! ! What was his highest amount of pigeons shot in a day 500 ish ? He was a very good shot, 

His record day was in the early 1960s and the pick up on the day was 550 , although they did find a few the following day, according to the book he fired around 650 cartridges , five out of six all day is very good going , so like you say he must have been a very good shot .

• 3 weeks later...

Archie lived in Dummer (not far from Micheldever in the grand scheme of things,) we used to take our pigeons to him on the back of a Lambretta in all weathers. He had a small shoot behind his house and another near Fleet where a mate of mine was his part time keeper (and still runs the Fleet shoot.)

On 17/06/2020 at 19:47, motty said:

Judging from what I see on other sites etc, Oxfordshire would seem to be at the top of the list for pigeon population, with some huge bags being taken there regularly. I see Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, and Essex mentioned regularly as a place where large bags are taken. Cambridgeshire and Norfolk are where I shoot, and there certainly isn't a shortage. 

I reckon the south west is one of the more sparse areas for pigeons. 

Yes, got to agree with this. One well known guy continues to make regular 200+ bags, sometimes 2 and 3 times per week from the Oxfordshire area. There must be a huge population to sustain bags such as this.

Northumberland definitely can't compete with that but thankfully we do have times where they show in good numbers.