'No good to man nor beast??'

I walked past a chap who was chucking a drill bit set into a skip today. I asked what was the matter with them. 'Rusted up completely. No good to man nor beast' says he. Challenged accepted, thought I and took them off his hands.

Two things occurred to me:

1) why let perfectly good bits get in that state in the first place 

2) why then just assume they're only good for the scrap heap?

Cleaning them was time consuming, for sure, but it's not difficult and there's plenty of life in them. Anyone else got any resurrection stories on them?

Capture.JPG.c4a2b99b0ec256b636c226c47ed30fbd.JPG

Capture2.JPG.add06b3d3da1b712104fd47b3061def5.JPG

My dad lifted an old Wolf power drill from a box of pruck someone was chucking out and put it in the shed. That was about 20 years ago and i came across it last year while doing a clear up, decided to plug it in just incase it worked and lo and behold the damn thing runs, the feeling of torque in it is unreal.

Contacted a few people about them to be told they were known as gutbuster drills for the propensity to do a Wallace and grommet spin you round if the bit jammed and you didn't let go quick enough.

I'll have to get round to restoring it sometime, think it needs some insulating inside as it's an alloy constructed thing and they are also known for giving the operator a little electric jag every now and then with bare wires touching the shell.

My son shares his yard at work with a skip company, they pay skip divers to salvage goods for sale.

It's amazing the amount of goods that are skipped. I had a brand new, still packaged sea fishing rod. Brand new photography tripod, box wet. 5m cam net new, but ripped. Loads and loads of partly worn ex military gear. Tools by the ton, mostly new unopened but either ex display? or dirty/rusty. That's just the stuff he brings home for me that the skip yard can't make a fast profit on themselves, the yard boys don't want and my sons drivers don't get to first. I put a new pull cord in a brand new genny that was scrapped and my son sold it as seen. Chop saw, required a fuse in plug only and sold on. Oh, old Diana .177, cleaned oiled and sold on. The list goes on and on, if I was more able bodied I could make a tidy sum just repairing what others can't be bothered to and are re skipping for landfill or wherever they end up.

12 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I walked past a chap who was chucking a drill bit set into a skip today. I asked what was the matter with them. 'Rusted up completely. No good to man nor beast' says he. Challenged accepted, thought I and took them off his hands.

Two things occurred to me:

1) why let perfectly good bits get in that state in the first place 

2) why then just assume they're only good for the scrap heap?

Cleaning them was time consuming, for sure, but it's not difficult and there's plenty of life in them. Anyone else got any resurrection stories on them?

Capture.JPG.c4a2b99b0ec256b636c226c47ed30fbd.JPG

Capture2.JPG.add06b3d3da1b712104fd47b3061def5.JPG

that is criminal and a terrible waste (could have been)...................what does it say about the person who threw it away.........

i have a loverly old very small electric drill (plug in)........it was being thrown away at a tip cause it had been dropped in a bucket of wet sloppy plaster........took it apart cleaned it....runs sweet as a nut....

some of those drills you have....look as if they are titainium coated :good:

Edited by ditchman