No longer a novice

Jacko3275

Today I was invited to shoot with Jdog I arrived at Jdogs at 3pm  Where he informed me we would be shooting  some new pea fields he had  he also  told me we would be shooting with gingercat a fellow pw’er 

first though we would be going to look at 3 possible fields for later in the week, two pea field and a winter rape field that had an unbelievable flight line and birds diving into it at this point I was told I am no longer a novice as its been over a year  since I first shot pigeons with Jdog and as I write this I am thinking this must mean I have graduated under the tuition of Jdog and I will take that as a huge compliment 

we met up with gingercat  at a coop car park where Jdog filled up his bag with treats (guessing it was sweets as of Cloddhoppers post) when we got to the the fields  of peas Jdog Informed me and the cat there was five fields but  only two where shootable due to pedestrian activity on the walkways  and left to to us to decide where we was going to set up splitting us between  the two fields we watched for 30/40 mins  I liked the field we where in  flightline coming from the village across the centre of the field toward an ash tree at the other side so I set up near the ash tree on the hedge line wind behind  cool overcast conditions till the sun came out☹️☹️☹️ ... Jdog and gingercat went and set up on the other  Field

my set up was 2dead birds on the magnet and 24 half shell decoys  not long after set up the first bird came in and spooked I dropped it at about 35 yard the next was a high crosser boom another down and 2 for 2 the third missed with the first barrel and dropped with the second paced this one out at 45yard  one finally decoyed in and this made 4 for 4 after this it got frustrating as the birds decided the preferred one of the fields we couldn’t shoot I got the odd shot after this And finished with probably my best shot of the day which I hear Jdog shout I saw him shoot that one aS I reload the phone rang to say he had and that’s it was time to pack up .. I ended up with 8 picked ( 2 of which I needed barney to find) 2 runners And 3 missed  Jdog and gingercat  picked 15 I think  so a bit frustrating but that’s pigeon shooting .. all in all though a good evening out in good company and a pleasure to meet gingercat...

Edited by Jacko3275

In usual decoying fashion of late, we found both lines stopped almost immediately after setting up.  The plan was to keep the birds moving between the 2 spots but it didn't quite work like that. A few flurries here and there of returning birds tempted by the decoys and the odd one or two popping out to feed from a village kept us amused.

Jacko had a couple of crackers that I saw from my hide 150 m to his left, the dog had a rangey bird dead in the air that anyone would be proud of and I had a fast double from behind (chance would be a fine thing these days) that was worth getting out of bed for.  Quite why the lines stopped we don't know but that's pigeon shooting for you. A fine couple of hours in good company. 

Special mention to barney whose fast becoming an excellent gun dog, finding some awkward birds in long cover. 

These days I find "lines" are actually "flock-strings" where a bunch of birds sit in the trees until they all follow a brave pathfinder in to feed. Anything scares the situation and it's either back to the trees and start again somewhere else or "forget it, I'm not hungry anyway"

This was one of those instances where I would have been confident of us shooting a decent bag. It was also one of those instances where a decent line stopped as soon as we set up on it.

The more likely fields were just out of bounds due to public access. 

Edited by JDog