Co2 or not

88inch

I am in need of an air rifle to control vermin (not possible with shotgun). I was thinking of a used

Co2  .22. I dont want the expense of buying air bottles . I wont be blasting off lots of pellets. So are Co2 rifles any good.

Thanks

Edited by 88inch

10 hours ago, 88inch said:

To be honest I dont know. I haven't used an air rifle since my Diana original  many years ago.

I am reluctant to spend too much as it wont get a lot of use.

Hello, 2 things with co2 , cold weather and loss of co2 if left to long in rifle, the small capsules or the 88 once you put in say a X S 78/79 will empty over time, even if you use pellgun oil, would not a spring air rifle be better?

50 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, 2 things with co2 , cold weather and loss of co2 if left to long in rifle, the small capsules or the 88 once you put in say a X S 78/79 will empty over time, even if you use pellgun oil, would not a spring air rifle be better?

The only problem with a springer is the noise factor. One shot and all vermin scarpers. I am told a silencer on a springer does very little as a lot of

the noise is caused by the mechanics of the spring. is that the case though.

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

There arent many options to be honest .

But consider the crosman 2250xl 

the smk cp2 in rifle form .

Or smk cr600w 

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, 88inch said:

The only problem with a springer is the noise factor. One shot and all vermin scarpers. I am told a silencer on a springer does very little as a lot of

the noise is caused by the mechanics of the spring. is that the case though.

Thanks.

Depends on what spring rifle and silencer, my HW 95 K was ok, you could look at a cheap PCP and pump like the smk 900 and pump off eBay 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

My son bought a springer that's silenced this week, £125 new complete with scope, almost silent. Killed 2 rats last night. In comparison my unsilenced springer is noisier than his silenced .410

Last gas powered gun we had on the tiny disposable capsules only fired 8 - 10 shots before needing changing. No idea if that's normal as we only borrowed it to try.

10 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My son bought a springer that's silenced this week, £125 new complete with scope, almost silent. Killed 2 rats last night. In comparison my unsilenced springer is noisier than his silenced .410

Last gas powered gun we had on the tiny disposable capsules only fired 8 - 10 shots before needing changing. No idea if that's normal as we only borrowed it to try.

Hello, what make and model springer ? 

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what make and model springer ? 

It's a Stoeger, wooden furniture, but no idea of model as it's in his gun cabinet.

It came from Neville's of Alfreton.

He sent me a picture of the plastic version when he was in the shop but as he was buying other things at the same time he did him the wooden version for same as synthetic. 

You might get the model from the pic

IMG-20200615-WA0006.jpg

9 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

It's a Stoeger, wooden furniture, but no idea of model as it's in his gun cabinet.

It came from Neville's of Alfreton.

He sent me a picture of the plastic version when he was in the shop but as he was buying other things at the same time he did him the wooden version for same as synthetic. 

You might get the model from the pic

IMG-20200615-WA0006.jpg

Looks like the X 20 S 2 

I had a Co2 airgun. Would never have one ever again. Zero was constantly changing depending on temperature, gas was always running out. You think 50 shots is a lot but it really isn’t. Always back of your mind when lining up a shot, am i getting near my shot count, might it have leaked, is there going to be temperature variation. Lastly very expensive to run.

Either save the money and get a pcp with pump or get a good quality springer.

Or get a Co2 but id be interested the hear your opinion in two years time.

Sorry to be negative.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Depends on what spring rifle and silencer, my HW 95 K was ok, you could look at a cheap PCP and pump like the smk 900 and pump off eBay 

I still have my old Diana original. there is no thread on the barrel for a silencer. Is there a clamp on variety .

Springers dont make much noise 

Especially if .

Its .22 

Long barrel 

Wooden stock 

Has a decent silencer attatched .

The action noise you hear sounds loud to the shooter as his ear is pressed to the wooden /plastic stock .

Walk five yards away and get your mate to shoot it and any action noise is lost .

You will hear the air expansion from the barrel ,and a silencer will take care of that.

1 hour ago, 88inch said:

I still have my old Diana original. there is no thread on the barrel for a silencer. Is there a clamp on variety .

Hello, if you can get the fore sight off and measure the barrel O/D I know a chap who makes silencers, your would just fit over barrel with grub screw to fix tight, these are on par with HW silencers but not expensive

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

29 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if you can get the fore sight off and measure the barrel O/D I know a chap who makes silencers, your would just fit over barrel with grub screw to fix tight, these are on par with HW silencers but not expensive

No foresight as tele fitted. it is a Diana model 35 original. I measured the barrel and is 16mm . What about the foresight grooves, do they have to be filled ?

Would like a price please and a typical photo of what you pal makes.

8 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Decent springer is pretty quiet, I heard some where cocking it was louder than firing it. Gas rams are even quieter. You can’t rely on co2 to be consistent if it’s only being picked up intermittently. Think paintball guns. 

I would probably do better with a paint ball gun!

Posted about my original 35 back in April ("original blast from the past") - had mine serviced shortly after buying it and you can see the accuracy she is capable of - the gun is also very quiet after a period of running in since the service - more than capable of killing Rabbits at normal Air Rifle ranges - AA Diabolo or JSB Exacts seem to work well even though you need to seat them quite firmly. You already have all the gun you need!!! Pic would be nice.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, 88inch said:

No foresight as tele fitted. it is a Diana model 35 original. I measured the barrel and is 16mm . What about the foresight grooves, do they have to be filled ?

Would like a price please and a typical photo of what you pal makes.

I would probably do better with a paint ball gun!

Hello, Matt makes all different types of air rifle silencers, 16 mm slip on, not sure on fore sight grooves. but if you use a scope it's not a problem filing off if need be, go on the uk air gun forum and search for Matt 975 or MWS silencers and send him a message with your Diana 35 info, cheers, I have one on my FX pcp 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Matt makes all different types of air rifle silencers, 16 mm slip on, not sure on fore sight grooves. but if you use a scope it's not a problem filing off if need be, go on the uk air gun forum and search for Matt 975 or MWS silencers and send him a message with your Diana 35 info, cheers, I have one on my FX pcp 

on airgun forum.uk but can not find mat 975 or mws. am I on the wrong forum