Darken stock

The Heron

If the new sock has an attractive grain and you are happy with the colour then lighten the forend wood . If the sock is plain and you want to darken it I would advise you to strip off what finish is on now , stain with a spirit stain , bearing in mind some wood will take stain better than other , then refinish . 

As wood come from different trees , grown in different places and at different times  ,you may never get a perfect match .As forend woods inevitably seem to darken down more than the stock , when I restocked guns I tried to lighten the fore wood as much as possible  if there was big contrast .

21 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

How do you lighten the wood, remove the finish?

Thanks

Aya's were not known for having a deep oiled finish . Many were coated with a stained  lacquer or varnish  .Personally I would take off the wood and soak it in thinners [acetone ] , brush out the checkering with a stiff bristled brush, I assume it was re cut when the gun was restocked , as it should have been . 

When it is fully dry the wood will appear to be "white" and will take any stain quickly so be very careful .Gently rub down to smooth ant lifted grain . It may be that red oil will be all that is needed and is a matter of trial and error and experience . So just try one coat to see and if it colours OK then continue with clear oil or what ever finish you choose .

Used to dissolve some permanganate of potash in water until the colour was virtually black and no more would dissolve. Apply this to the stock and when dry simply rub down the stock until it got to the lighter shade you were after before applying the oil. Back in the day, the devil rode when the needs must.

39 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Used to dissolve some permanganate of potash in water until the colour was virtually black and no more would dissolve. Apply this to the stock and when dry simply rub down the stock until it got to the lighter shade you were after before applying the oil. Back in the day, the devil rode when the needs must.

Wow used to soak your feet in that stuff to cure toe rot.

10 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Wow used to soak your feet in that stuff to cure toe rot.

I've always wondered if there was any of this in alkanet oil as as you start to lighten it it turns a red - ish colour.  I can confirm that if you put enough of it in the town's closed circuit fountain system the result is a 6 foot high wall of pink bubbles ( having also applied a generous measure of washing up liquid) the full width of the road downhill from the fountain.