hugh hickey

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Get a fixed power 6x42 or 7x50 or 8x56. Cheaper than variable, so better glass for the same money. Less to go wrong. And you won’t have time to **** about altering a scope when you spot a deer in the woods.

This ^

A 6 x42 S & B will do it all.

Edited by Robertt

What type of deer stalking? Roe and Munties in Woodland? Big red's up on the open hills? Both perhaps as a do it all rifle? 

I would want a low power scope for wide FOV and quick target aqcuisition if shooting in thick forestry and cover, but might want a big more power for longer open shots. If I wanted to do both then I'd consider if a variable was needed, however would strongly consider a fixed. 

I have a 308 lined up and am going to stick a fixed 6x42 on it with decent glass. 

On 19/06/2020 at 14:13, London Best said:

My .308 has worn a Leupold 6x42 since I bought it new in 1989. Over six hundred deer/antelope/pigs haven’t complained. I don’t feel I have ever needed more and I see no reason to change it.

100% agree

if you need more magnification then learn to stalk.  The only time I appreciated being able to wind mine up on my 300H&H barrel was on a pronghorn doe at 495yrds and had plenty of time to do it.  The day before I shot a pronghorn buck at 80yards in thick sage brush and was glad of the low setting x4 so I also enjoy having a variable.  It's there when I need it.

Edited by Walker570

I stalk with my scope set on 8x which matches the magnification on my binoculars.

I like having vari-power. I find being able to wind back to a low mag like say 4x helpful for close range stuff like calling roe or muntjac, or muntjac in cover where I would be shooting 10-15 yards or even closer on occasion.

As well as being able to wind back for a potential close range follow up if things haven't gone to plan especially if you end up taking out clients, although many of them turn up with fixed power scopes so it's a moot point. 

Not essential but nice. 

Where woodland extends to open ground, large fields etc then winding up the magnification is also very helpful. I limit myself to 250yds but for muntjac at that range or even roe kids on a bank side etc being able to wind up to something like 12 power helps. 

Again, not essential but it helps. 

In your budget I'd be looking for a second hand Swarovski Habicht or something like that personally. 

Whatever the choice clarity is in my opinion higher on the list. 

My 1st scope was a Leopold VX1 3-9×40 it was out classes by a S&B by 15 minutes at dawn, mate shot a fallow when i couldn't tell R s from head. 

I then spent some money on a Swaro Z4i 3-12×50 that does everything for me.