new video!! Out on the clays oh and a plane!

Took a drive to Swindon a few weekends ago to have a look round the sporting layout at Barbury shooting school and to shoot a very different type of target some funny poor shooting on my behalf but its all part of the fun! hope you enjoy the video!!! sometimes a change is good 👍

5 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

Enjoyed that video, some good targets in the wind. I’ve been meaning to try Barbury for a while now. I think the Gnat has finally convinced me to go ✈️

👍🏼 I liked the ground and the staff were really pleasant very welcoming and helpful. The guys said they run the gnat shoot 3-4 times a year so if it’s that you are after may be worth getting in touch with them or adding them on fb to see when it’s next on. The ground is still worth a visit in my opinion for a relaxed shoot. Hope you get down there and enjoy it soon! 

Interesting video, the appearance of the aircraft was an exciting bonus.
I have never really understood the battue target in sporting clays and tend to save cartridges and not shoot at them, I have also noticed that they usually break when they hit the ground, so they "die" anyway.🙂
Not sure what "sporting" creature they are meant to replicate, someone once told me it was woodcock, but I have never seen a woodcock drop like that and wouldn't shoot one when it was landing anyway.

59 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I have never really understood the battue target in sporting clays and tend to save cartridges and not shoot at them, I have also noticed that they usually break when they hit the ground, so they "die" anyway.🙂
Not sure what "sporting" creature they are meant to replicate, someone once told me it was woodcock, but I have never seen a woodcock drop like that and wouldn't shoot one when it was landing anyway.

I was told once it was to simulate a dropping duck, could be either! Hard target when edge on and dropping fast.

7 hours ago, Cranfield said:

I like your theory of they die anyway 😂 only way they do when I’m on stand haha god knows maybe they cleverly and specifically replicate pigeons coming over a high thin hedge in winter dropping into a pattern on winter rape that’s been set close to the hedge with the wind blowing into the hedge 🤔 that works right?! 

When I have queried what bird a clay represents as I have never seen any bird fly like that I have been told that ‘sporting clays are no longer thrown to represent natural quarry, they are just a target in their own right as clay shooting is a separate sport from quarry shooting.’

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Good video, would be great if you showed the ShotKam of each pair and kept the running total. I’ll send a link to a good precedent video. 

I will definitely look at incorporating some of that in my future ones 👍🏼 Thanks for the help much appreciated! 

45 minutes ago, London Best said:

When I have queried what bird a clay represents as I have never seen any bird fly like that I have been told that ‘sporting clays are no longer thrown to represent natural quarry, they are just a target in their own right as clay shooting is a separate sport from quarry shooting.’

Interesting point and I think you’re right, certainly on the bigger registered shoots. At one shoot I go to there are still stands marked as decoyed pigeon, teal, distant crow, low partridge and even fox (slow orange rabbit clay!). 

37 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

Interesting point and I think you’re right, certainly on the bigger registered shoots. At one shoot I go to there are still stands marked as decoyed pigeon, teal, distant crow, low partridge and even fox (slow orange rabbit clay!). 

I don’t do registered shoots, or any sort of competition. But I very occasionally shoot clays for fun and I want to shoot at a target which resembles something I may encounter in ‘real’ shooting, not something which flies like a pregnant cuckoo.

I'm always disappointed if I have a go on a sporting clays layout to see clays that....if it were real live quarry...you actually wouldn't put your gun up to as it's too far to be a humane clean kill. But as others have said sporting clays is now a thing in its own right and perhaps the better for it. Personally I still think that English Skeet is as good a practice as any for the sort of shots you'd encounter on many a walked up day on most any lawful feathered live quarry or that you'd encounter on a day purely on woodpigeon.

Edited by enfieldspares