Sign in to follow this  
nicknsd1978

BASC Introduction to pigeon shooting

1 minute ago, nicknsd1978 said:

Didn’t know if this was worth attending for a newbie or whether it was a waste of time

I have not been on the course myself and people often poo poo these things rather like the DSC1 course (which I have attended) but it much depends on where you are in your shooting. As a newcomer you are bound to learn a few things and as an older hand you might gather a few different ways to approach the sport. At the very least you would likely meet some potential shooting mates going forward. 

when I did my DSC course I had already shot a fair few deer but I got so much out of it. Not so much from the course but picking up ideas and information from those around me. If you can afford it, then why would you not want to do it?  

i did one a few years ago and to be fair, it was very good and i learned an awful lot, some of which i expected and lots i didn't. Hide building techniques were particularly useful and lots of common sense solutions to everyday problems.

With being a member of BASC already I think for the cost it will be well worth while. I don’t have a lot of time for shooting so if I can shortcut things by attending then I think why not plus it’s a good excuse to get out for the day

9 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

With being a member of BASC already I think for the cost it will be well worth while. I don’t have a lot of time for shooting so if I can shortcut things by attending then I think why not plus it’s a good excuse to get out for the day

That's a good attitude to take and for what these courses cost it's less than a guided day, you'll probably come away with lots of useful information stored for later than can take years of decoying to achieve. 

Good luck to you, I hope the pigeons turn up too.

It's ok especially regulations where to shoot how close to roads etc. But I wouldn't describe it as a must do. It's very basic but you do get a certificate which you can flash around providers of shooting to impress how competent you are.