Axion Key XM22 thermal spotter

steve_b_wales

Does anyone own, or have owned the above spotter, and if so, what are their views? I'm thinking of getting a thermal spotter, mainly for rabbit/fox. I don't want to pay too much for one, as it would only be used a handful of times per year. The Axion key is advertised at £869 which is about the right price I'm happy to pay.

Ive looked through one, and wasnt impressed , so for slightly less money , about £780 I imported an Hti HT 03 from China, which is a far superior thermal, THEN , bought the XM30S , and sold the Hti.
Main reason was the Pulsar fits nicely in your pocket (the Hti is about 9 inches long) and has a bit more base mag, but costs twice as much !

The XM 30 is slowly growing on me , but that Hti has many features I miss, massive battery life (you definitely need an extra battery with the XM series) it didnt calibrate as much , which the XM series seem to do about every 5 seconds ! And the biggest one, screen clarity, the XM , despite a much higher resolution screen , just doesnt seem that clear ?
In hindsight I regret buying the Pulsar and wish Id kept the Hti.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/infrared-hunting-thermal-telescope-with-low_62415101345.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.3.97c4492b57DNSl

16 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ive looked through one, and wasnt impressed , so for slightly less money , about £780 I imported an Hti HT 03 from China, which is a far superior thermal, THEN , bought the XM30S , and sold the Hti.
Main reason was the Pulsar fits nicely in your pocket (the Hti is about 9 inches long) and has a bit more base mag, but costs twice as much !

The XM 30 is slowly growing on me , but that Hti has many features I miss, massive battery life (you definitely need an extra battery with the XM series) it didnt calibrate as much , which the XM series seem to do about every 5 seconds ! And the biggest one, screen clarity, the XM , despite a much higher resolution screen , just doesnt seem that clear ?
In hindsight I regret buying the Pulsar and wish Id kept the Hti.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/infrared-hunting-thermal-telescope-with-low_62415101345.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.3.97c4492b57DNSl

Interesting. Was the price inclusive of import duty and Royal Mail handling fees?

I paid $750 plus another $30 shipping, I seem to remember it coming to around £640 , but it might be a bit less now, it was sent DHL and arrived in about 4 days !! After Id paid another £120 ish , in VAT and duty.
So it was about £770 in total .

This is who I got it from , and they were excellent to deal with.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/In-Stock-New-Selling-thermal-camera_60807317682.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.74dc3e5foMWL6t

Its difficult to buy something when there are very few reviews and you havent looked over the goods , but I took a chance and it worked out for me.
Like I say, the Pulsars are a decent thermal, but I expected more for more money , and didnt feel like I got that.

But if you want something that fits into your pocket the XMs are the ones, the Hti will , if you have big pockets, I regret selling mine, although I got back nearly what I paid for it , there are some Facebook retailers who sell them for around £1000.

55 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I paid $750 plus another $30 shipping, I seem to remember it coming to around £640 , but it might be a bit less now, it was sent DHL and arrived in about 4 days !! After Id paid another £120 ish , in VAT and duty.
So it was about £770 in total .

This is who I got it from , and they were excellent to deal with.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/In-Stock-New-Selling-thermal-camera_60807317682.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.74dc3e5foMWL6t

Its difficult to buy something when there are very few reviews and you havent looked over the goods , but I took a chance and it worked out for me.
Like I say, the Pulsars are a decent thermal, but I expected more for more money , and didnt feel like I got that.

But if you want something that fits into your pocket the XMs are the ones, the Hti will , if you have big pockets, I regret selling mine, although I got back nearly what I paid for it , there are some Facebook retailers who sell them for around £1000.

Thanks again. I'll certainly look into this.:good:

i was looking at buying the xm 22, for the same reasons you listed.

Could not find any uk stock.

So looked at the basic xm30 but again failed to find any uk stock.

Could not justify the extra £'s for the xm30s.

I ended up buying a 2nd hand Pulsar xq30 v for £700. 

Not had chance to play with it properly yet, just out in the garden/walking the dog just to get used to the functions on it.

27 minutes ago, dbarnard said:

i was looking at buying the xm 22, for the same reasons you listed.

Could not find any uk stock.

So looked at the basic xm30 but again failed to find any uk stock.

Could not justify the extra £'s for the xm30s.

I ended up buying a 2nd hand Pulsar xq30 v for £700. 

Not had chance to play with it properly yet, just out in the garden/walking the dog just to get used to the functions on it.

Scott Country are now advertising them.

8 minutes ago, telf said:

These are for sale on amazon for £1025 + £3 postage , but im sure a lad on facebook was selling for slightly less a while back 

Lee Poland/Steve Gates , on N8 vision I think you mean, £950 , its where I first heard about them.
I was already on Alibaba for the Pards, so just made some enquiries....

Just checked that one on Amazon, its in China anyway with a months delivery schedule, plus a possible £200 Vat bill , if they dont pay it their end :w00t:

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Lee Poland/Steve Gates , on N8 vision I think you mean, £950 , its where I first heard about them.
I was already on Alibaba for the Pards, so just made some enquiries....

Just checked that one on Amazon, its in China anyway with a months delivery schedule, plus a possible £200 Vat bill , if they dont pay it their end :w00t:

👍

1 hour ago, jeff8861 said:

Check out some videos on here the exeye range have some great units.

Although Ive heard good things about this range, the entry level spotter (£999) is inferior to the Hti A3 and the XM22, on the all important sensor side.

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Although Ive heard good things about this range, the entry level spotter (£999) is inferior to the Hti A3 and the XM22, on the all important sensor side.

Not heard of the hti a3 however the e3n is better than the xm22

Edited by jeff8861

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Might well be , but its £1200 , and has a spec sheet the same as the Hti.

More importantly does the hti have a three year warranty and no hassle return. Some specs on paper will be the same but are they of the same quality and reliability. Best try all within your budget then decide.

2 minutes ago, jeff8861 said:

More importantly does the hti have a three year warranty and no hassle return. Some specs on paper will be the same but are they of the same quality and reliability. Best try all within your budget then decide.

Yes 3 year warranty, but buying in the UK is always favourable warranty wise, that said , it is £400 cheaper, and quality and build wise , they look suspiciously similar...
But I know what youre saying :good:

6 hours ago, martyn2233 said:

Email here first Steve https://www.blackwoodoutdoors.co.uk/thermal/thermal-monoculars/pulsar-axion-key-xm22-thermal-monocular

he say out of stock at moment but he give good discount’s so will be cheaper 👍

I've dealt with Ian before and agree that his prices are good. I'll see what he can offer. No hurry though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a XM22 and it's fine for the purpose I intended, which is the period between ~35 minutes after sunset up to final knockings for deer (usually Fallow). I've not used it for foxing yet but at the ranges I'd be taking shots with a lamp after dark with the .243 I'm confident it would be fit for purpose.

I figured I'd "go large" if I can ever justify getting a thermal rifle scope.