motor home holiday

Archie-fox

Hi All,

as a holiday abroad is out of the question im toying with the idea of renting  a motor home and heading down to Cornwall area/north devon, it would be from the 17th July on wards for 7 nights, not planning on campsites just fancy parking up at designated spots at beaches etc, im thinking with all thats going on is it the rite thing to do? will the locals want people (tourists) in the areas or will they be crying out for us to return and spend money...im reading that pubs will re-open on the 4th July with social distancing..i just fancy getting away for a week and relaxing as both me and the mrs are key workers, NHS/Health and safety, so were crying out for a break..any thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Sabden  is pretty damn beautiful in its own right there at the foot of Pendle. It really depends how you behave. Up here at Carelaverock we rely on campervans to fund our community association. We have spots available subject to a voluntary donation. At present you are banned from Scotland but once permitted as long as you recognise the rules would be welcome as we get back on our feet. I cannot see why you would not be in Devon.

good luck you have earned a break.

6 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Well Sabden  is pretty damn beautiful in its own right there at the foot of Pendle. It really depends how you behave. Up here at Carelaverock we rely on campervans to fund our community association. We have spots available subject to a voluntary donation. At present you are banned from Scotland but once permitted as long as you recognise the rules would be welcome as we get back on our feet. I cannot see why you would not be in Devon.

good luck you have earned a break.

Thanks Dave, Sabden is a nice village,  we just need to get away and unwind.

28 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I would try & leave it last last minute  before you rent a van then you can judge the weather a little better nothing worse than a week stuck in a camper van when it’s ******* down all week.

if you have a nice comfortable motor home and some good food............if its horsing it down on the roof....it will still be a good week away

I have a static at ripon and I'd rather be sat in there in the rain than sat at home at times..  🤪

22 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

nothing worse i got a static caravan at ParkDean Porthcawl and if it's raining more than 2 days i go mad and go home 

49 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

just paid the deposit..

will chance the weather as its the only time we can get away..

fishing rod will be packed and bbq, first stop woolacombe beach.

The beauty of a motor home is if the weather is poor . You can move . And hunt for better weather . Had motor homes for over 30 years. 

4 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

Hi All,

as a holiday abroad is out of the question im toying with the idea of renting  a motor home and heading down to Cornwall area/north devon, it would be from the 17th July on wards for 7 nights, not planning on campsites just fancy parking up at designated spots at beaches etc, im thinking with all thats going on is it the rite thing to do? will the locals want people (tourists) in the areas or will they be crying out for us to return and spend money...im reading that pubs will re-open on the 4th July with social distancing..i just fancy getting away for a week and relaxing as both me and the mrs are key workers, NHS/Health and safety, so were crying out for a break..any thoughts?

There are no designated spots or beaches in in Cornwall, the police will wake you up at 5am and move you on if you try to stop anywhere.. That's what they are doing at the moment. Generally speaking the locals don't want visitors down there and you could encounter a surprisingly negative reception..

Even my stepdaughter who works at the Royal Cornwall Hospital is getting comments made to her because she has a London accent

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

There are no designated spots or beaches in in Cornwall, the police will wake you up at 5am and move you on if you try to stop anywhere.. That's what they are doing at the moment. Generally speaking the locals don't want visitors down there and you could encounter a surprisingly negative reception..

Even my stepdaughter who works at the Royal Cornwall Hospital is getting comments made to her because she has a London accent

Still a month away yet and I’ll be keeping a close eye on things and if it’s still a closed shop to visitors we won’t be going,phoned a few tourist information places and they said by then it should be all open, on the internet lots of campsites opening on the 15th July, so could be ok..

5 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

Still a month away yet and I’ll be keeping a close eye on things and if it’s still a closed shop to visitors we won’t be going,phoned a few tourist information places and they said by then it should be all open, on the internet lots of campsites opening on the 15th July, so could be ok..

If the sites are open crack on I say let’s get this country moving again (life must go on) unless you are a teacher that is 😀

4 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

nothing worse i got a static caravan at ParkDean Porthcawl and if it's raining more than 2 days i go mad and go home 

I work in Porthcawl  for a month ,  it rained every day apart from the day we started and the other day it didn't rain it Snowed !

Edited by derbyduck

33 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

I work in Porthcawl  for a month ,  it rained every day apart from the day we started and the other day it didn't rain it Snowed !

You should have worked there in 2015 they had two dry days that year.

Edited by blackbird

7 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

It will all be over soon enough I hope.. then life can get back to some type of normal I hope..

I ruddy well hope so. This wretched virus has turned into an excuse for everyone to shirk responsibility and pass the buck. 

I had a FABLE inspection and they wanted me to do it via Zoom on my phone, they really couldn't grasp the fact that we have no mobile signal anywhere on the farm and accused me of being obstructive. I really do despair.

Enjoy your break and keep safe.

C