motor home holiday

Archie-fox

2 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

Still a month away yet and I’ll be keeping a close eye on things and if it’s still a closed shop to visitors we won’t be going,phoned a few tourist information places and they said by then it should be all open, on the internet lots of campsites opening on the 15th July, so could be ok..

In Cornwall they are very hostile to people doing roadside park ups because a lot of them are A-Hs dumping litter and emptying their toilets in the bushes. Then drive off leaving a trail of beer cans, wine bottles dirty nappies and abandoned BBQs. In Cornwall they are called "surfers", the lowest form of life known to exist on the planet.

But a lot of the proper sites are so lovely that you would be mad to ignore them. You really need an electrical hookup these days to run your TV and microwave etc and they have shops and hot showers etc .

However, hiring a motorcaravan is very expensive, so much so  that I would consider other options 

Edited by Vince Green

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

nothing worse i got a static caravan at ParkDean Porthcawl and if it's raining more than 2 days i go mad and go home 

I remember going on a family holiday to Porthcawl as a child in the 1950s.

6 of us in a caravan (well, my elder brother and I were dumped outside to sleep in a tent).

It rained all week. All day, every day.

Somewhat coloured my opinion of Wales.

Instead of going south, I’d go north to do the NC500, you can park up literally anywhere in Scotland ( wild camping) hopefully doing it myself in September, just going to put a mattress in the back of my transit van and away I go, have a look at some of the vid,s on y-tube.

11 hours ago, derbyduck said:

I work in Porthcawl  for a month ,  it rained every day apart from the day we started and the other day it didn't rain it Snowed !

Tipical best spring weather on record and we all locked down mind you with all the rain and wind we get down here the Bass love the surf beaches 

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

In Cornwall they are very hostile to people doing roadside park ups because a lot of them are A-Hs dumping litter and emptying their toilets in the bushes. Then drive off leaving a trail of beer cans, wine bottles dirty nappies and abandoned BBQs. In Cornwall they are called "surfers", the lowest form of life known to exist on the planet.

hiring a motorcaravan is very expensive, 

Not just Cornwall, most places in the country due to litter and human waste. Most car parks state no overnight, lots of laybys the same. Not only that, where will you get your fresh water from.

Quick edit: If you park at the side of the road and take a drink, you can be prosecuted for drink drink driving regardless of if you intend driving again that day.

Too close to the road you have traffic noise and can get rocked by passing HGVs and Van's.

For the amount you will pay to hire, joining the caravan club is a mere fraction of the cost opening up to you a number of large sites and thousands of small 5 van sites, where you can park legally, get fresh water, empty waste and be safe in the knowledge you're reasonably as safe as possibly away from the roadside.

26 minutes ago, blackbird said:

With the typical British weather you can keep your UK summer holidays I have had my fair share of tramping around holiday parks with waterproofs on 😤

Been there done that, so many years it makes you wonder about our sanity.......but still we go....

Edited by Centrepin

2 minutes ago, Miroku_Dave said:

We've just taken the hit and bought our dream van - and the next day I get called up to go and conduct Covid testing for an indefinite period of time! Looks like we wont be going anywhere soon 😷

van.jpg

Nice looking van, you can get some great drive away awnings for the side or rear giving you oodles of extra space and able to leave non essentials on site when you go out for the day.

Make a great shooting truck for those trips up to Scotland too😉

52 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Here is my old girl 25 years old with 54k Miles  sailed  through last years MOT . Does around  32 mpg on diesel  . 

20200619_085655.jpg

20190318_212411.jpg

That's awesome! Is that an LPG sticker on the side for your gas tank? I'm brand new to this so I don't know what i need to get for my cooker? or anything for that matter 

41 minutes ago, Miroku_Dave said:

That's awesome! Is that an LPG sticker on the side for your gas tank? I'm brand new to this so I don't know what i need to get for my cooker? or anything for that matter 

Yes Dave gas bottle storage . A set of leveled are handy like litte car ramps , for uneven ground . Spare bulbs for internal lights , fuses, extra clothes like socks and knickers teeshirt. Through the season I just leave stuff in , saves packing stuff all the time . So as stuff is washed , straight back in the van . A few extras on a weeks shopping . Stick them in the van , soon fill it up . Better than a big shop before going away . Caravan club . I love the little CL . Dont worry to much about an over night stay in a lay by the law wont move you on . It became more relaxed when more foreign  trucks started to come here . When there hours are up they have to come of the road . There is loads of stuff , just ask away  . IRELAND   is beautiful  the west side had some amazing  holidays over there , places you can only dream of down the southwest  side .

12 hours ago, amateur said:

I remember going on a family holiday to Porthcawl as a child in the 1950s.

6 of us in a caravan (well, my elder brother and I were dumped outside to sleep in a tent).

It rained all week. All day, every day.

Somewhat coloured my opinion of Wales.

It hasn't changed, you can tell when its summer in Wales because the rain gets warmer

7 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It hasn't changed, you can tell when its summer in Wales because the rain gets warmer

Also went to Cornwall in Silver Jubilee year.

More biblical deluges.

That's why we prefer the Cote d'Azur 😁

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

Also went to Cornwall in Silver Jubilee year.

More biblical deluges.

That's why we prefer the Cote d'Azur 😁

Cornwall is the same as Wales, Gulf stream and prevailing winds off the atlantic travel thousands of miles and the first land the encounter is our west coast

Just now, Vince Green said:

Cornwall is the same as Wales, Gulf stream and prevailing winds off the atlantic travel thousands of miles and the first land the encounter is our west coast

At least with Cornwall you get the choice of coasts. I recall hopping from North to South that year, trying to find a dry spot.

5 hours ago, amateur said:

At least with Cornwall you get the choice of coasts. I recall hopping from North to South that year, trying to find a dry spot.

That’s what I’m hoping to do, hopefully the weather will be kind to us, I’ve found 2 campsites that I will book as soon as they say we can which is 4th July, then hopefully a couple more weeks after that we will be on our way... looking at the news this evening things look to be going the rite way..and in just under a month things could be so much better.. ( as said tho if not safe to travel we won’t be going)...

13 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

That’s what I’m hoping to do, hopefully the weather will be kind to us, I’ve found 2 campsites that I will book as soon as they say we can which is 4th July, then hopefully a couple more weeks after that we will be on our way... looking at the news this evening things look to be going the rite way..and in just under a month things could be so much better.. ( as said tho if not safe to travel we won’t be going)...

I wonder how many folk have ongoing bookings, opening day for 10 or 14 or 21 days? 

I have and I know others that have, I unfortunately foresee many traffic problems on open day and the day after. Even overnight travel of which I'm fond of I forsee problems. I so hope I'm.wrong.

My site of choice is fully booked from opening day till end of October as are I few others I'm a regular or reasonably regular at that keep me informed.

39 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I wonder how many folk have ongoing bookings, opening day for 10 or 14 or 21 days? 

I have and I know others that have, I unfortunately foresee many traffic problems on open day and the day after. Even overnight travel of which I'm fond of I forsee problems. I so hope I'm.wrong.

My site of choice is fully booked from opening day till end of October as are I few others I'm a regular or reasonably regular at that keep me informed.

I assume that in normal time things wouldn’t get busy until the state schools broke up mid July. However, confiding that the majority of children are not at school I am sure most people will be heading off at the first opportunity. 

I have a 30yr old lwb shogun and have removed the back seats and put in a bed with space under for storage,  Im now looking at tent awnings [ recommendations gratefully received]  vehicle cost was £1500 

room with a view..  my dogs tongue is some length..😄

1140421729_thumbnail(28).jpg.c2b9127662936667df7ab67c03653710.jpg

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I have a 30yr old lwb shogun and have removed the back seats and put in a bed with space under for storage,  Im now looking at tent awnings [ recommendations gratefully received]  vehicle cost was £1500 

Love it... I use my 110 with roof tent only takes 5 mins to set up either that or just sleep in back.

Fitted with Diesel parking heater and electrics.its going to Team tractor soon to get the new gun drawers fitted too.

Looking to drive to Morocco sometime next year too....

Screenshot_20200620-103919_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200620-103904_Gallery.jpg

Edited by mad1

37 minutes ago, mad1 said:

Love it... I use my 110 with roof tent only takes 5 mins to set up either that or just sleep in back.

Fitted with Diesel parking heater and electrics.its going to Team tractor soon to get the new gun drawers fitted too.

Looking to drive to Morocco sometime next year too....

Screenshot_20200620-103919_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200620-103904_Gallery.jpg

Nice one..An overland to Maroc would be great.{ i did hitch there many years ago] would love to go the opposite direction to N Norway and have a few weeks fishing etc.Does the rear awning fit onto the base of the tent or the roof rack 

The rear awning fits into a rail around the fold down part of the roof tent so just gets folded up with the top when put away.

I have got some material rom Mel on here so I'm going to make a full length pull out side awning...

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

The best I've ever come across or seen is from caranex.com inexpensive for what they are and on a Scottish island too.

Edited by Centrepin
Spelling of caranexe?