Small rant (just me )

hodge911

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Absolutely sick to death of people who say trial dogs are ‘robots’ and ‘can’t think for themselves’

A good dog is a good dog whether a trial dog or a shooting companion or I should say AND / OR a shooting companion.

Agreed a good dog is a good dog and to me it is often more about the handler than the dog.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

I mind I was at the Springer? champs a few years ago now and a dog got a CoM for not picking a bird, injured bird from the previous beat dog must off nudged 3 or 4 times, now I realise it was unshot at that moment but surely u want a dog to peg any injured birds

Sorry what does this say? Struggling to follow :hmm: 

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sorry what does this say? Struggling to follow  

In a shoot day scenario this bird should have been picked to avoid further suffering. If I’m reading it right.

In a trial scenario this would be very unusual given the fewer number of birds shot and the controlled situation. Definitely not a black or white situation but the poor bird should have been despatched at the earliest opportunity regardless 🤔🤔

Edited by bigbird

12 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Was only thinking that myself although I am one of the culprits. Good bit of educational debate mind you😁

Exactly !

thanks all who posted I am enjoying the comments (even tho its turned into a debate on trailing) .

My financial circumstances (I am only in receipt of carers benefit as I look after my disabled wife) dictate that at the prices people are asking for pups even cross breeds its going to be a long time before I can afford a new companion ....

Unless the gods smile on me and there's a young dog needs a good home 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Anyway this discussion has degenerated into something completely unrelated to the OP’s question and I think we should get back on track.

21 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Exactly !

thanks all who posted I am enjoying the comments (even tho its turned into a debate on trailing) .

My financial circumstances (I am only in receipt of carers benefit as I look after my disabled wife) dictate that at the prices people are asking for pups even cross breeds its going to be a long time before I can afford a new companion ....

I reckon come October when the furlough ends there will be a few 5/6 month old pups needing good homes!

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Sorry guys I was in a strop generally last night 😂😂

No problem we all have to stamp our feet from time to time and this forum is a good way of doing it😂

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

Exactly !

If I hear of anything I will let you know. You are not that far way.

On 25/06/2020 at 16:31, Dave at kelton said:

Your point on using the wind is well made.Any good experienced dog will do just that if you shut up and let it. I notice it particularly in one of my labs just now. Send him back on a line and when he gets to the hunt area he will move off the line to get the wind in his face. Undoubtedly that would be a fail in trialling terms but it’s just what I want from a picking up dog. Half the battle is knowing when to shut up and let your dog do its job and the dog to have confidence to work without constant guidance.

On the button. An old keeper once said to me, "Trust your dog, he knows more about what is around him than you do". 

16 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Apologies, setting looks identical with a yellow lab 🙈

https://fendawoodstuddogs.weebly.com/ftch--int-ftch-beileys-aguzannis-of-fendawood.html

I saw this dog when I helped at the England team selection test the year before it won the IGL. It went where it was told to the inch & then handled when it got there.

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

In a shoot day scenario this bird should have been picked to avoid further suffering. If I’m reading it right.

In a trial scenario this would be very unusual given the fewer number of birds shot and the controlled situation. Definitely not a black or white situation but the poor bird should have been despatched at the earliest opportunity regardless 🤔🤔

Aye being the champs they were shooting close to 100 bird days as so many dogs to go throu and the morning beat they just turned round to do other half of the wood in the afternoon so it must have ran up.

Must admit there wasn't much got away from the guns those days a very good team which they needed to be to get throu so many good dogs and all needing retrieves.