Storing an air rifle

steve_b_wales

2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Believe so yes 

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

NO. But you are responsible if anyone under age does get hold of the gun. It is strongly suggested that airguns be locked away safely. Does not mention secure cabinet.

Conflicting answers. This is a discussion going on Facebook regarding locking up an air rifle.

the law isnt so prescriptive, it just says "reasonable precautions" - personally i use a safe as its easier but you could also have a trigger lock or just not storing them in a location where an <18 can get to them 

Given how cheap a safe is ( and you dont need an expensive one) its worth it just to protect the asset value alone 

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks. The discussion/disagreement is based on whether you have to have a lockable gun cabinet for the air rifle, and not just to make sure it's locked away in a cupboard etc.

you dont need a lockable gun cabinet ( not sure about scotland) 

8 minutes ago, quentyn said:

the law isnt so prescriptive, it just says "reasonable precautions" - personally i use a safe as its easier but you could also have a trigger lock or just not storing them in a location where an <18 can get to them 

Given how cheap a safe is ( and you dont need an expensive one) its worth it just to protect the asset value alone 

you dont need a lockable gun cabinet ( not sure about scotland) 

:good:

My air rifles are locked within my secured gun room. My rifles and guns are locked within a safe within the gun room. All pellets and ammunition is locked within a safe, within a safe within the gun room. If that isn’t reasonable precautions I don’t know what is 🤣

On 18/06/2020 at 23:06, johnphilip said:

But how would it effect your SGC or FAC . If they were not secured to the structure  of a building .

If you have an SGC and/or FAC, then why not just keep the air rifle in the cabinet?

This law really annoys me. Why couldn't they have just done the sensible  thing and clearly defined what they mean by 'reasonable precautions'. Or just say they have to be in a safe. job done.

12 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

If you have an SGC and/or FAC, then why not just keep the air rifle in the cabinet?

This law really annoys me. Why couldn't they have just done the sensible  thing and clearly defined what they mean by 'reasonable precautions'. Or just say they have to be in a safe. job done.

Because here in scotland we need a air rifle license  , and in my case my wife shares the cabinet , so cant put air rifle in shared cabinet . It just get even more silly . it is to much left upto , interpretation.  

45 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Because here in scotland we need a air rifle license  , and in my case my wife shares the cabinet , so cant put air rifle in shared cabinet . It just get even more silly . it is to much left upto , interpretation.  

ah yeah, Stranraer, apologies. It's so silly isn't it? It's as if they're looking for a way to create ambiguity just so people fall foul of the rules